Can I cook these foods the night before and heat them all the oven? Any tips please...

Rice and Gaundule w/a pork

Empinadas

egg plant

ziti

Chicken parm

fried hot and regular chicken wings....

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't cook anything before and heat them up. Every heated food has a taste that our family wouldn't eat. We usually cook every day. Sometimes we freeze things or put it in the fridge. But if we put some chicken or meat in the fridge, we would make a pasta sauce from it with cheese or tomato sauce, so it would be cooked again.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You may be able to do all the prep work the day before then pop them in the oven to cook the next day. I know re-warmed up rice especially tastes horrible.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Def. chicken parm. I think it's better the next day! You might have to add extra sauce to make sure it's not dry.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh, I never had a problem with rice-reheating I was actually talking about with pork-gaundule
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Really, I would do the prep work the day before, but cook on the day you want to serve the food..
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not so happy about that.
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Rice and Gaundule w/a pork what is this??
    You can pre- cook the ziti- slightly undercook it though , rinse with cold water and oil it a bit to keep the noodles seperated. It depends on what you are making with the eggplant. Chicken wings I would do that day- prep and then just thow into the oven.
    Chicken parm- you can pre- bread it but if you sauce it and bake with the cheese it will be soggy the next day. Empenadas will be fine cooked the day before- reheat in a hot oven with the wings.

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Cook everything as far as you can without finishing it off, to prevent the "reheated" taste.

So you could pre cook the ziti noodles, make the casserole, put it in the fridge, and bake it off the next day. For the parm you can pre-bread the chicken, put it in the fridge, bake and sauce it the next day. I don't know what the pork dish is you mentioned, I'll google it and tell you where to stop. I would assemble the empanadas, and then just fry them the next day.

As far as the chicken wings go, you can bake them till they are cooked through, and then either fry them the next day, or oven crisp.

This is what restaurants do. Also, rice reheats very well, especially if you choose a method of steaming to heat it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• somk of its fine like the parm is better the next day but rice if it sets in liquid will keep absorbing until its just mush so be careful about that. Have a nice day.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Ok, this is the recipe I've found

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gandule-Rice/Detail.aspx

for this recipe, I would do all the chopping etc, basically up to the step where you add the rice, and refrigerate the dish. On the day of, warm the pan through, then add the water and the rice and finish cooking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010