Price or # of gifts

I am having a hard time trying to decide if I want the kids to have the same amount of presents or if I want to spend the same $ on each kid? what do you think? It just really hard because everything my stepdaughter wants is atleast $40.

I guess I better add the ages to the question, the kids are 3 and 10! lol

nat1981

Asked by nat1981 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyone feels different about it. We spend the same on all our kids.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My kids are 8, 10 and 12. So they understand now that some gifts are more than others. So I spend 100 on each child. When they were younger though I would just by the same amount of gifts.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• are they old enough to understand "how much?" That makes a difference. if they're teens then they will probably figure it out. if they're younger, they will probably be just fine. I think with younger kids the "same number" as sister or brother is a lot more important than money. Nobody wants to be outdone by their siblings :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We try to spend the same on everyone, but if they are really little they only understand size nd amount lol.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We have the same number of gifts for each kid. The oldest has the most money spent on him since in addition to the large gift that all the kids are getting, he's also getting a lap top. Plus 75% of his gifts are video games. The important part is equal number, so when they are opening gifts nobody feel left out.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It kinda depends on the age of the kids.....A friend of mine just asked me this yesterday lol....She has 3 kids her oldest is 4 then 3 and a 3 month old. She spent the same on then but then realized that her DD had like 5 more things the DS. I told her to pick up a few cheep cars for him because at that age all they see is that sissy got more then me.....they dont understand the money part that young...when they are around 10 then they understand more. I hope this helps.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• mine are little so the 11 month old won't care how much or how expensive anything under the tree for her was. the 2 and 4 year old will care more about "quantity" under the tree than "quality" if you get my gist. this is why i spent little on the baby, and about the same on the older two. looking at my tree right now, there are about 5 things for each of the older two and 3 for the baby. this doesn't include the crapload of stocking stuffers and the gifts from Santa that are still hidden :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• At 3 and 10, I wouldn't worry too much about it. At 3, she's going to be happy as long as she gets the stuff she wants and won't notice that big sis's presents are more expensive. We try to keep it pretty even on both # and $ because our kids are old enough to know the value of things and notice if someone gets more stuff. They know if they want one thing at the very top of our budget, their other presents are going to be things that are inexpensive.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When the kids were younger we had a set number of gifts per child, so we could go back and forth with opening them. Now, we have a spending limit for each child. I like the spending limit better, we end up with less "fluff" presents that they really didn't want anyway.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have one child but the rule is the same if end up with just one or have five children. Rule: one gift from Santa and one gift from us as parents. Plus his stocking stuffers. The season to me is about sharing and giving. We gave and we share time as a family. It isn't about price for me....it would be does the gift capture my child's wish, imagination, and spirit. If yes, that is the gift. We encourage family to give non material gifts to keep the chaos down. For example my four year old is taking cooking lessons from his aunt as a present. The message he got from that: his aunt wants to spend time with him, he learns cooking skills, and he feels more independent. Sadly not all family and friends want to do the no material gift giving.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010