Housesitting! Won't sleep! Help!

My 1 year old ALWAYS takes good naps and sleeps fairly well at night! She ALWAYS goes to sleep on her own and is good about getting herself back to sleep well if she wakes up. This week while we've been housesitting for some friends she has not slept nor has she gone to sleep without a fight either at nap time or at night time. I KNOW she's aware she's in an unfamiliar place and she's afraid, but I don't know what to do! Anyone have any suggestions how we can make this week go by easier for all of us?! Thanks!

kjkwiles

Asked by kjkwiles at 12:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried laying down with her? Even though you may not want to lay down, it may be comforting for mom to be there by her side.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'd lay beside her and when she falls asleep put her in her bed.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Do you have her cuddly toy, blanket, pillow, bedding, everything from home? You can get a travel cot as well and put her things in it. Maybe the house and the beds have different smell. And she probably feels insecure in the new house. Try to sit down and talk to her that this is only temporary and you will go back home soon and she can sleep on her bed. Maybe she doesn't even know if you go back home. Try to be in the room while she fall asleep and go to the room if she wakes up (baby monitor if you still have one).

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010