My daughter is 10 months old and is on milk now...however she will not drink whole milk. I could only get her to drink 2%. Is this okay?

I am going to ask the doctor on her next visit. but she seems to be fine shes still gaining weight, eats many other things from jar food to my food lol, and it definitely is not affecting her in any areas if you know what I mean.

peytiebug211

Asked by peytiebug211 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is perfectly okay. 2% milk still has all the essential vitamins & minerals as whole milk. The only thing different is the fat content.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Why is she on cow milk already? She needs the nutrition from breastmilk or formula until 12 months.
    Definitely not 2%
    Anonymous

• It should be fine as long as she is getting all of the vitamins that she needs. She should still be drinking either formula or breast milk until she is 1. But talk to the doctor about it. Im sure it is fine though
    Anonymous

• They are supposed to have whole milk until they are 2 yrs old because their bodies need the fat. Of course if your doctor says it's ok, then don't worry about it, but I would mix a little whole milk with the 2% just so she is getting a little more fat and calories.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• How does she know the difference between whole and 2%. Amazing. I have heard that there is some nutrient in whole milk that is essential for I believe brain development. I do not know maybe you could water it down a little. I know I don't like whole milk after being on 2%. Our fridge is bursting Whole for my granddaughter, 2% for me, and skim for my husband. We are big milk drinkers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's still early for her to be on cow's milk. I know, lots of moms say they're doing it and their kids are fine... but you need to look a lot farther down the road than childhood. I often wonder if the many incidences of IBS and digestive problems among my generation (age 45+) is due to early introduction of cows milk to infants.

Talk to your doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm concerned about milk so early too. I guess check with doc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• she was a breast fed baby and then went to formula and she stopped drinking her formula so the doctor said to put her on milk 10 months so i listened. and once i gave her whole milk she hrough the bottle just as she did with the formula and then gave her the 2% and she hasnt stopped drinking it. however the person that told me to mix it thats a wonderful idea i cant believe i never thought of that! thank u
    peytiebug211

Comment by peytiebug211 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I raised 4 kids - 6 mos on breast milk, 3 mos breast milk mixed with cow's milk in sippy cups & by 9 mos totally whole (and I mean WHOLE - we had milk cows) cow's milk in a cup. All my kids grew up just fine, no sour tummies, no allergies, no issues what-so-ever! And, no issues as adults either. We have become an over-analyitical society. Literally GENERATIONS were raised on cow's milk LONG before formula ever came to be. The only thing I have about cow's milk is to buy an organic brand so your baby doesn't get the bad hormones some non-organics have. As for IBS - that is a condition caused more by stress than food. Yep, ask your doctor about that one.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my son has always been on 2% the doctor told me that was good they have to tell me to give him whole milk but 2% has less fat and is better for em
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 1:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010