How can people be okay with being grungy?

I have NEVER found it acceptable to be grungy. To not brush your hair, to not wear clean clothes (as in utterly stained, crud caked, etc), to not care about how you smell, etc.

My mom never did this either and we were POOR. We could barely afford to eat but we wore clean clothes (not name brand by ANY means), took baths, brushed our hair, etc.

How can people find it acceptable to be so grungy and not seem to care?

And I am NOT talking about the "grung look" or homeless and helpless people.... I'm talking actual just plain nasty people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have no idea. I see so many people go out and it looks like they literally rolled out of bed to head to the store. My kids used to think I was terribly unfair because they knew kids who didn't have to mess with brushing their hair or taking showers. Now both of them appreciate the fact that they look presentable when they leave the house (though our 11 year old still fusses once in a while).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• “We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• im grungy. but i also had a baby 3 weeks ago. and i could care less if i leave my house i barely do. so i guess i can be! lol
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm totally grungy too...battling depression, being trapped in the house by snow, and hoping not to miscarry while I sit on bed rest. Guilty :-)

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 1:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Maybe they just don't care... there are some people who don't care about any of those things. .
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• To each their own - but the dreads (I don't care WHO you are) they stink! I live in a small college town (hippyville USA) and so many of the kids do this and it really smells (especially if you are behind them) ... I could not do it but many do!

gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 7:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am guilty of it i hate combing my hair but i have nappy hair so i opt not to do it im all for looking nice but im going to publix to cook for my family not for a fashion show! but @gambilldl my man has dreads and they dont smell if you wash them :) and i have money i own 20 pairs of expensive sneakers and 15 pairs of heels i have nice clothes MONEY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT if you dont want to do it you dont have to IM GRUNGY AND OKAY WITH IT :) life is too short to get fancy and be out the house for 10 mins :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• i dont like it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I don't mind being stinky, my s/o loves my bo, I don't know why? LOL I do shower before I go out though.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• There is a difference in living that lifestyle and just having an episode of grungy behavior.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010