Egg donation and surrogacy?

I'm thinking about donating my eggs sometime in the next year or so. Growing up with a mom who has fertility problems and seeing her struggle to try to get pregnant again, going through IVF several times has made me very compassionate toward people with fertility issues and this is why I've decided to donated...I've even considered being a surrogate mother.

How do you ladies feel about egg donation and surrogacy? Have any of you done it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never done it, but believe it is a very amazing thing you could do for someone. I looked into surrogate before and just know I am not strong enough for that but its great you could help someone
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it can be a positive thing, but it's very emotional and you should really consider how it might affect you before going through with it. Donating your eggs increases your risk of cancer, so that should be considered as well. Good luck. It really is a kind thoughtful thing to do.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have not donated eggs, but I would. Honestly, I'm not going to use them. As for surrogacy, I probably would not go for that one. After the pregnancy and birth I had with our last child, I won't be having any more - for me or anyone else. Thank goodness hubby wanted a vasectomy!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• As the mother of 5, I am very sympathetic to the plight of women who suffer from infertility. BUT, for some reason I have a huge mental block when it comes to donating my eggs. I don't like the idea of having someone running around with my DNA and I have no idea where, or how they are being raised etc. I would carry a baby for a friend or family or stranger but only if it was the couples sperm and egg, not mine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am actually on a donor list I just got put on the list so now I wait for a couple to choose me. I wanted to surrogate but no agency would have me because my son was premie. Message me with any questions :)
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have never done it personally, but i think it is a wonderful thing for those who do struggle to conceive. I am other of 5 and couldn't imagine not being able to have children. I say go for it. It will bless someone in the long run.
    bdiane34

Answer by bdiane34 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Never done either but I think i would donate before I would do the latter. Well I don't have my uterus anymore but I think if I did and I decided to do the surrogate thing, I don't think I would be able to give it up after carrying it for so long.
    gatorswife

Answer by gatorswife at 7:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2010