How do I get signed up for toys for tots or other things like that?

I know it is very very close to Christmas but I am unable to buy Christmas presents this year. The past couple months have been bad and this past week has been worse. I am not asking for a bunch of stuff, I would just like to be able to put toys and stuff under the tree for my 2 y.o. son and 1 y.o. girl. I have looked on craigslist for free toys and stuff but I am unable to drive so I cannot even go get them. I live in Indianapolis, if you have any resources I greatly appreciate it!! Thank you in advance.

Amanda_Jo1209

Asked by Amanda_Jo1209 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• Toys for Tots is usually distributed through social services agencies. Call 211 to get connected to social services agencies where you are.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• the bloggess is matching gift card donors with families in need. I don't know if she is still doing it, but check her out at thebloggess.com
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh my. It may be too late for Toys For Tots. It's worth a shot to try though. You can try to contact local churches for help too. I hope you can find some kind of help. Gl.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Considering its 5 days before Christmas most of those programs took names earlier in the month and have already distributed toys.
    Might call your local church.
    Luckily they are young, the prefer the boxes.
    Make them some inexpensive home made things.
    The cafemom newcomers group had a good list of things you can make at home for your kids.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You should call local churches and organizations they usually have a sign up list.
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 1:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Most programs are filled and even finished with distributing by now. Might be time to get creative, work with what you have, and relax and enjoy the time with loved ones.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• check with family, friends, co-workers. Now is not the time to be shy about what your family is facing. If hubby has a job, have him ask the people at work if anyone can donate gently used toys or can they start a plate to pass. If your mother or father are working, same thing. You will be amazed at the out pouring of love and resources that will come about if you let people in on whats going on,,,good luck and God bless
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010