If you told your family and friends?

Not to buy you gifts for Christmas. They send you a gift, how do you feel. What would you do? Would you run out and buy them a gift, because you feel you should. How would you handle this.

We do not do gifts for Christmas and have asked everyone not to buy us anything. I received a gift from a friend and do not feel guilty nor will I go buy them a gift. Thoughts?

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• I wouldn't buy them a gift, especially if you told them not to. While its a nice gesture on their part, its not what Christmas is really about so Im sure they would understand. If everyone bought gifts for everyone Im sure it would get really expensive and I don't know about you but I don't want to spend that kind of money.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Why don't you exchange gifts? Any reason?
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I do not think their intention is to make you feel guilty. They want to give to you and what you should feel is loved and appreciated. Of course you should acknowledge the gift graciously.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't exchange gifts with friends either and would just Thank her and not return gift.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Acknowledge the gift, and share your appreciation. Gifts should never be given with the expectation that one will be given in return.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• well Christmas is a giving season and if you don't feel guilty then that's all right...Merry Christmas
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We have not given gifts for years to anyone. We decided years ago that the commercialism was overwhelming. We celebrate family on that day and have a great family day. Great food, great conversation. Its not about gifts its about family for us. No stress no extra money spent on stuff people dont really want anyway.
    voni681

Comment by voni681 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't think you need to feel guilty or reciprocate with a gift. If your friend knew you were not exchanging gifts and chose to send you something anyway then I think you extend a heartfelt thank you for her generosity and enjoy the gift as that was clearly your friends intention.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• sleepninjabunch of rosesNo need to feel guilty if you receive a gift and you told the person prior to recieving the gift you didn't want any.  Just politey tell them the reason you didn't get them one

brieri

Answer by brieri at 2:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We give gifts becasue it is Jesus' birthday. For those who said it's not about gifts. A small gift for family is manageable IMO.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010