How come parents with one child are constantly trying to set up play dates

This could just be my experience but I've noticed amongst my oldest daughter's (she's 7) classmates and teammates that the parents that have one child are constantly asking for play dates? I have had playdates for my daughters in the past but it seems as if the ones with one child are persistent about us meeting up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They want their child to have interaction with other kids and have someone to play with. They dont have brothers and sisters.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Because they are an only child with no playmates, and looking for their child to make friends.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Because it's nice for our children to have someone to play with. With no brothers or sisters, my son only gets to play with other children when we have playdates, be it with his cousins or my friends children.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• These kids attend school and are apart of teams, plenty of interaction with other kids. So the only time they aren't around other kids is on weekends.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Is it hurting them in some way? No. Then why does it matter?
    Anonymous

• I guess I've just become really annoyed with one mom in particular. I'm now at the point where I don't even want to set anything up with her because that's all she talks about.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It can be for all of the reasons given above, and it can also be that the mother in question doesn't want to make efforts to do things with the child herself, or because the mother in question doesn't believe that her child needs to learn to entertain herself or be comfortable with herself, and doesn't see the value in alone time.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I may be out of the norm but before we had our second child I was content with hanging out and playing with our daughter(who was the only child at the time). We had the occasional play dates but I was nothing like how some of these parents that I've encountered have been.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My son is only 4, so he's actually not part of any teams.
    If you don't want to have a playdate with her, tell her no.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Thanks justnancyb
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010