requiring experience

Do you often wonder how some companies expect you to get experience. If noone will hire people with no experience, how are you supposed to get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Good question. Our older daughter is looking for a job now and with the unemployment rate being what it is now many of them are saying they won't hire anyone under 18. I think some companies expect you to get experience as an intern - in other words, free labor

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Often through education, through internships and practicums, through volunteer experience, and through minimum wage entry level positions.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes I wonder this all the time. Best advise is to find a smaller company willing to let you get your foot in the door and work your way up a bit.
    bdiane34

Answer by bdiane34 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Apply to jobs even if they say you need experience. People don't realize how much 1st impression and personality play into it. I started out in an internship following grad school and was able to turn that into a full time position just by proving that I was capable. Look for these kinds of opportunities. Now that I have my own business and hire people from time to time I always ask for experience, but have hired people w/o just because they seemed right for the position...I've never been wrong!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my question exactly
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I've often wondered this myself.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Requiring experience is the difference between an "entry level" job vs. a job that requires you to have a good working knowledge of the position. It really all depends on the needs of the company at the time. Sometimes they already have a good portion of inexperienced workers so they need to hire people that have experience. The entry level jobs are harder to find b/c they are usually filled so fast. ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• All the freaking time.

I think the previous poster is right though- having an internship or college education in that area can also help you get the job.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Being in HR and being on the other side of the fence how would you expect us to hire someone who has no experience to do a job that requires an experienced person just because you need a job. It would set the company back an extensive amount of time and training to traing an unskilled person with no experience to do the job versus a person who already as those skills. So yes of course they would look for someone who has that experience first.

That being said companies do have positions at entry level, every company does, but no one wants those because those positions do not pay well. People want to start out with no experience making $12/hour not minimum wage, and complain they can't get those high earning jobs out of the gate. You have to understand, you have to start somewhere. Everyone does. I had to start somewhere, I worked a switchboard for $6/hour my first job and worked my way up. Experience, is experience.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 8:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• It's a catch 22. You might have to start off a temp job to gain experience.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2010