Not really a debate question... religious affiliation

Are you the same religion (or non-religion) that you were while growing up?

How about your siblings and parents?  Are they still the same thing they were growing up?  In adulthood have you all grown similar in thinking?  Taken your own paths?

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We were Methodists when I was growing up. Now, we attend a nondenominational protestant church. It's beliefs are the same. It is spirit filled.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my parents never attended any kind of church but always said they were baptist, idk what my sister is, i don't speak to her anymore, my brother and i attend the same baptist church where he is a deacon
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No, not at all. When I lived with/spent most of my time with my mother, I was raised fairly non-religious. When I was with my great-grandmother, I was raised Southern Baptist. My grandparents were nominally Methodist, though I can't ever recall them attending church.

I'm Pagan.

Black sheep? Why, yes, I do believe I am.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was raised Jewish. While I have questioned and not always practiced they way I was raised, I never completely rejected being Jewish either. I have now become more observant than how I was raised and my mom has gone away from religion altogether. And I have no siblings.

My DH has 3 sisters. All of them have remained Jewish. Mostly with the same basic level of observance as they were raised. One has gone more religious, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My beliefs have changed over the years. The dogma of the church I was raised in always bothered me, even as a child. Too much of it seemed illogical. Now, I feel very strongly connected to my faith.

My husband was raised in the church, but had moved to atheism when we met. Now, he's more agnostic. But, every now and then, I see a spark of faith in his heart. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was raised Catholic in a large Catholic family. My brother and I are both atheists now. My sister isn't particularly religious, although I still think she identifies as being Catholic.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was raised Christian, and I have remained Christian. Same for both of my parents, although my father was raised Catholic until middle school before attending a Baptist church.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 2:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• yes and no. i still go to the same denomination church as i did growing up but its extremely liberal where as growing up it was extremely conservative. i also dont agree w/ 50% of what that church teaches, but its the closet to my views ive found after years of searching (plus my family goes there). so while i go to the same church i dont believe the same as i did growing up.

my brother is kinda the same as me (we go to the same church), but he probably believes 80% of what the church teaches. my parents arent as conservative as they were when we were growing up and they are no where near as conservative as they were raised.

i believe ive taken my own path as i believe what i feel is right, despite what my parents believe...it just happens to still fall under the same main religious category.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We’re all Catholic and always have been.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nope. I was raised with a very strange mix of fundamental protestant Judo-Christianity. My mom was born again when I was about 5 and religion really became the focal point of our life until her death when I was 11. My father, after my mother died lost faith but continued to preach at the kitchen table, explore Native American mysticism and espouse his personal view on Christian eschatology. Both of my parents were as children exposed to various Christian churches but were not participants until adulthood.

My sisters have had many fluctuations. One sister claims Catholicism but has done nothing to confirm this. And the other is leaning more towards Charismatic Christianity. They were raised in the environment of my father and I was raised in the environment of my mother so there is a world of difference between us all.

All of us has taken our own path. I'm eclectic Pagan and happy with it.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010