Do you agree with Al Franken - preserving net neutrality is the most important free speech issue of our time?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-franken/the-most-important-free-s_b_798984.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I think he's just one more example of why politicians are not qualified to make laws about the internet - because they don't have the FIRST DAMN CLUE what they're talking about.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Who should make laws about the internet?

People who actually understand what the internet is and how it works.

What's wrong about this?

For the 5 gazillionth time. "Net neutrality" means companies must give equal priority to your bank transfers and your 14 yr old neighbor hosting a porn site on his laptop. Your direct deposit MUST be held up while some guy in Bangladesh downloads a 30Meg file from your neighbor over dial up connection if the porn download starts first. If that means your direct deposit doesn't go in for an extra 3 days, so be it - it's net "neutrality". Now compound that by every online financial transaction, security transaction, medical record transaction, and every other way your life is dependent upon fast access to your personal information.

What this law does is take the ability to prioritize away from the people who know what the hell they're doing and hands it out first come first serve.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't agree with anything that idiot has to say.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• NO!! His stating that Net Neutrality is akin to free speech is an oxymoron...and he IS a moron!!!

How can anyone take this man seriously?!  LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• No. I don't agree with Al Franken... And Lori, LOL....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• How........exactly? They want to make laws/regulations that regulate your speech. So, how is it important to freedom of speech? I guess it is like Pelosi saying the unemployment benefits returns $2 for every $1 spent. They just make this up as they go and hope we are to stupid to question it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• As opposed to just letting the telecommunications companies run it however they want, in which ever way makes them the most money?

And herein lies the perfect example of this problem. The way the law works right now, your ISP has the option to refuse service to your 14 year old neighbor hosting the porn site off his laptop and selling gigantic files to guys on another continent who connect over dialup. It allows your 14 year old neighbor to refuse to allow the guy overseas to tie up his network (and all the links in that network) for 3 days to download airbrushed naked senior shemales. The way you WANT it to work (and all the other people who don't understand the problem), your ISP is REQUIRED to provide service to the 14 year old and the 14 yr old is REQUIRED to offer downloads to the guy in Asia.

In other words - this is letting the gov't tell the doctors what order to do the procedures in the surgery.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't agree with anything that idiot has to say. -Answer by itsmesteph11

bow down

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 6:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't agree with Al Franken, either… great pic, Lori!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703395204576023452250748540.html

"Analysts and broadband companies of all sizes have told the FCC that new rules are likely to have the perverse effect of inhibiting capital investment, deterring innovation, raising operating costs, and ultimately increasing consumer prices. Others maintain that the new rules will kill jobs. By moving forward with Internet rules anyway, the FCC is not living up to its promise of being "data driven" in its pursuit of mandates—i.e., listening to the needs of the market"...

..."The darkest day of the year may end up marking the beginning of a long winter's night for Internet freedom."

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• LOL, Lori. I so wasn't prepared for that when I clicked to the second page. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, my computer would have been sprayed.

As for the original question, No, I don't agree with Franken.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010