Do you think that really large people should have to pay for

two seats on a plane?

I think the only way they could get away with that would be to then charge people by the pound, so with that said, then a small child or a women weighing let's say 105lbs wouldn't have to pay as much as someone weighing 150lb, etc.

Recently a bunch of airline workers were arrested (i don't remember what airport) for charging for a particular weight for a bag and then post another weight in the log and keeping the difference.  Besides stealing, the officials were making a big deal about it because there were then saying that it would throw the weight calculations of the plane off and that could be dangerous.  In that case then, wouldn't the same thing apply to the people?  Wouldn't you need to know the about of body weight you have on the plane?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• they're charged for two seats if it takes two for them to fit...i think they should have to pay for both seats because it's taking up space someone else could use (and would be paying for)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I worked for a major airline for 10 years. Although weight is an issue for weight and balance paperwork for the aircraft & fuel calculations, it has more to do with sellable space. If a person is so large they use more than one seat, yeah, there should be a charge for the seats the person is taking. If the airline sold 2 seats for the price of 1 to a large person, they lose out on the fare for the second seat that could have been sold to a smaller person. This is in no way, a judgement towards larger people. Look at it this way, if you were a restaurant owner, would you charge a larger person for that 2nd burger or steak than a smaller person? Or woud you charge per item. It's all relative, really. You pay for what you use as a consumer. In the airlines case, the general consumer sees the fare as a price for a trip. When in reality, it is a price for a SEAT! In a larger person's case - 2 seats.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If a larger person has to pay double than my 3 yr old is suppose have half off ticket because she rarely sits in her chair and doesnt take up a whole seat!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes they should becasue they are taking up two seats which means 1 less person gets to be on the plane
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have sat next to someone who was too big for the seat I had my arm rest down but she moved it so she could sit down. I tried to put it down she laughed and said we were going to be close. She was sweaty and smelled just awful so I went to the front and asked if I could be moved. The flight attendant said there was nothing on this plane but they could bump me to first class on a flight that left in 3 hours. So I did that. I was late to what I was doing but I didn't have to shower when I got off the plane. I think if you don't fit in the seat you should pay for 2 and no one else should have to be inconvenienced because of someone else's poor health choices.

Anonymous

• Maybe just have certain seats made on the plane for bigger people. I don't think it's fair to charge for two seats.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You should have to pay for as many seats as you use. If you can squish your fat butt into one seat, then you should be charged accordingly. If you spill over into 3, then you should be charged accordingly. Saying obesity is a disability is like saying being a pot-head is a disability. PUT DOWN THE FORK.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 3:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Isn't that what JUMBO jets are for? LOL j/k
    Yes, if they take up more than on seat, they should be charged for two.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 7:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think anyone that is going to fly should pay for the seats that they are using. If you are too large to fit in one seat, then you should have to pay for and get two seats. Airfare is based on seating, not size of the person. Should extra thin people get a discount?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If they can't fit in one seat, they should be charged for two. How would it be fair to charge them for only one seat, then the price of everyone's seat would have to be raised to make up for the money they didn't get from that second seat. Last plane ride, I was sitting nest to two huge people. Yes they each could sit in one seat. How they got in there I don't know, but the woman took up more than her seat, and the man beside her took up more than his seat. The mans arms and shoulders were so huge that they took up about a third of my seat, and I ended up being shoved over into the aisle. I was extremely uncomfortable the whole trip, but when I complained to the stewaress, she said there was nothing they could do about it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010