Stinky Garbage Disposal

It stinks like rotten eggs!
Today I even did the baking Soda and Vinegar thing and it worked. Just seemed like Vinegar. Well hours later it smells worse then it did before! UGH!
Can it be the dish washer causing it? I need to get rid of the smell makes the place stink bad. I'm embarrassed to have anyone over.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Pick up some garbage disposal cleaner at the store. Lemon, baking soda and vinegar will do oaky for keeping it clean and fresh smelling, but it's not going to be enough to clean yours now. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Mine sink drains tend to do this - I have to pour hot water and 1/2 gallon of bleach down it and it works for a few months..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Clean the filter in the dishwasher, then at the grocery, they have stuff to clean the dishwasher and to put in the disposal. I just cut up a lemon in half and then put it down the disposal and it works.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• fresh lemons should work just throw the whole things in the disposal
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It probably needs cleaning...sometimes stuff gets gunky and grows inside.

Have you tried cut up lemons and ice? That works pretty well. But, you may have to take it apart to clean it well.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I put ice in my gabage disposal and comet and then turn it on. It gets it smelling good.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• This happened to us too and despite everything that I did it kept getting worse and worse and eventually it stopped working.. Finally my husband took it out to find that it was rotted. That's why it smelled so bad. It just needed to be replaced.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Maybe I should do that...
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I live an apartments. Do you think they'll do it? I dont want to screw it up and break itI never worked with disposals before. I dont want to break it and pay for it since they arent cheap
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• OKAY I DID THE LEMON THING BUT NOW IT SMEELS LIKE LEMONS AND ROTTEN EGGS....UGH!!!!!

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010