What's the best birth control to take if you're breast feeding?

Since I'm still nursing, my doctor said I could take either Mirena, Paragard, or a birth control that they insert into your arm. Any suggestions?

brittynicjones

Asked by brittynicjones at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Health

• I use Depo-provera it's given in the arm, once every 3 months, it's very convient, and works good for me.
    Anonymous

• They say that while you are on the clock breatfeeding then that lowers your chance on getting prego again..(intell you stop) The best brith contol to look at is one with out Estrogen and for sure if your nursing a boy. If you have a obgyn then ask for or look at the chart that has has level of estrogen and other items in it. Look for the lowest level of estrogen and witch ever one fits your style You can also look it up on the internet!
    smtngirl

Answer by smtngirl at 5:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• i got mirena and it has been working good for us. if you want to take the pill then you are limited to the mini pill qhich you have to take at the same time everyday for it to work right. your best bet is to talk it over with your dr and see what is going to work for you. i was told the shot can make you gain weight so think them all over and think what will work for you.
    shadowia30

Answer by shadowia30 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I've heard the shot makes you gain weight, and I'm not very fond of needles. Well, obviously I got over that for the most part during labor! I'm thinking about Mirena, but have any of you had major side effects from it?
    brittynicjones

Answer by brittynicjones at 11:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I breastfed my baby for 14 months and while I was breastfeeding my doctor prescribed me the birth control pill Errin. It worked great and after you have decided to stop breastfeeding you can switch to whatever birth control pill suits you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I never had a problem getting prego while breast feeding as long as I was doing it a lot. As soon as I tapered off or quit I got pregnant!
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 12:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008