So I'm snowed in... Ideas for keeping the kids entertained?? Ideas for meals on the minimal amount we have left in the freezer??

So we've been snowed in for a little while now. The food stocks are depleting rapidly, I walked to the nearest store today but obviously there's a limit on how much I could carry back and there's no way to get a car off or up the road. Curse giant hills and tons of snow...

The children are going crazy locked inside but they've all come down with colds so going outside isn't really an option.

Do any moms have any ideas?? I'm going absolutely crazy here on my own with them, I've got a friend coming for christmas but her train doesn't get in until Christmas Eve (if it's not majorly delayed) and I know I shouldn't be having a small breakdown over the weather but I am... ha!

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 2:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• You could always do popcorn and a movie.. sipping hot cocoa... not sure what you have in stock but you could teach the kids how to make something...(but not sure on their age) like I'lll cut up meat and my oldest will season it for me. Or tear up lettuce for a salad.
    ReinaLuv

Answer by ReinaLuv at 2:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Relax. Let the kids entertain themselves, give them blankets to build a fort over a table with, books to look at with flashlights in front of the fort, watch a Christmas movie, bake cookies, pop popcorn, and don't worry. It won't hurt the kids to use their imaginations to entertain themselves, it's a great skill to have! If worse comes to worse, have your own Christmas picture coloring contest and display the artwork when they're all done!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 2:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• What do you have left in the freezer? I can suggest some wonderful snow games for the kids, if you'll let them go out.

And I don't mean to be rude but colds and other illnesses come from other people NOT the weather. It is better the kids go outside (about 15-20 minutes at a time) than for them to stay in because in the house the germs just keep getting pasted back and forward. Also you will stay healthier as well if; when they go out you sanitize everything you can think of, a bleach water sanitizer solution will dry in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck we snowed in mamas have to stick together.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I dislike getting everyone dressed up to go outside (yes, I know I'm a horrible mother lol) so for my little ones I bring some snow inside. We put ours in our water table....but putting it in the kitchen sink would be just as fun. My little ones that enjoy that are 4 and 2.5 but I imagine even some a little older would like it. You could make play-doh. There are a wealth of coloring pages/color by number and the like online, just google them. Board or card games are always fun. Or if things get extreme maybe you could open a Christmas Eve, eve, eve present :) Hope weather conditions improve soon!!
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 2:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010