• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

I might be getting a divorce and I do not trust my in laws around my daughter...

What are the custody laws? Can I say I do not want my daughter around them? They have all been in jail and on drugs with the exception of my husband. And my MIL is manic depressive,always sick, and has a mean dog that does not like my daughter. HELP!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Yes, you can specify this I'm pretty sure, the key is evidence, evidence, evidence. Keep every bit of evidence you have on them, obviously their criminal records will speak for themselves.

    Answer by leah_rai at 2:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Write anything weird down in a notebook. Anything strange they say or do, or if they drink around your daughter. If you see any kind of drug paraphanelia around or anything like that. Just pointing the finger and saying "they're bad people" isn't going to do it, you have to have evidence.

    Answer by badgirl44654 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • It depends what state you are in, but you can get a stay away order, though it is difficult because you've got to prove they are a danger to your child.

    Now, realize, just because someone has been to jail, or was on drugs, doesn't mean they are still a dangerous person. My mother was that way until 5 years ago. I didn't speak to her for a very long time. Now she is a staple in my daughters life, and one of her favorite people.

    Also, trust y our husband. I'm sure he loves your daughter, and wants what is best for her. He's not going to put her in a dangerous situation. And if he is, perhaps you should seek full custody?

    Answer by mrskrisher at 2:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Request supervised visitation whenever she sees them, and who supervises should write down anything weird, and then maybe you could request supervision be revoked.

    Answer by badgirl44654 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • When I had to go to Court for my Gr-son for the Dad being the bad guy, it was have very good PROOF. The Courts always want PROOF, and will always look out for the child, not the arguing parents so much, but the child. Good Luck. I had a DD that way, and she had her DD's name chgd 1st, then married a man who was able to adopt her, but her Dad and Gr-dad were both in jail and drug addicts. Both sex offenders too, and the Court still wanted PROOF he was a BAD DAD. PROOF PROOF PROOF!!

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Myangel003 aren't their records proof? What kind of proof do I need?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Pictures, texts, police reports of the negative behavior, character witnesses, ect... You have to prove they are currently a threat, not only that they would have been 2 years ago, or however old the record is.

    If they threaten you, get a police report. If the MIL is on medications, which ones? If the dog is violent, file an animal control report, and note that your MIL choose to keep the dangerous animal.

    Another thing that worked for me was keeping a note book. Write down EVERY SINGLE THING that happens, date and time, AS IT HAPPENS. They may consider that, if a divorce does occur.

    Why might you get a divorce?? Is it so bad that you can't fix your marriage?

    Answer by mrskrisher at 7:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Yes you can if the judge approves it.

    Answer by LiLJeni at 2:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.