Help!!

O.K. so my kids are out of school because of a snow day. My 10 year old calls me at work to see if her friend can come over to play for a while. I tell her that it will be o.k. Then my 13 year old calls me at work and says that it isn't fair because I didn't let her have friends over when I was not home when she was 10. I tell her that I am the Mom and I made the decision and it doesn't have to be fair. She starts ranting and raving about how I am not fair and how she is more responsible and should be able to do more stuff. My 13 year old is having her friends over on Wednesday for a movie and popcorn, and I will not be home then. I guess I am second guessing my parenting skills. Do I punish her for ranting and raving about me not being fair? What is a proper punishment for this?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 3:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know about punishing her but you lay down the laws about calling you and ranting to you while you are at work-you are the mother PERIOD if she wants to discuss something with you then she shouldn't do it while you are at work. In her mind she has a valid point that you can at least hear her out on but not while you are at work.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• no, you don't need to punish her for that! But just tell her life is not fair. My girls are 18 months apart and I here that all the time. It will go on for quite a long time, best to figure out what to say now.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes I would punish for disrespect, if she was horrible Id take her movie night away. If she was just mildly venting but not so disrespectful Id talk to her explain if she can come home from school tom get homework done and few chores, I wiil see she is sorry for rudness I will still let her have a movie night but she needs to understand your parent your decision goes.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't punish her but I would tell her that if she wants to show you how responsible she is that she will need to sit down with you and discuss these sorts of issues not call you at work and do what she did this time. And when she can show you that kind of mature behavior then you will start allowing her to do more.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would also tell her that if she does call you again at work for this sort of thing that she will be punished for it.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You have some great answers and I agree with them. Setting guidelines and expectations are important with anyone. I don't see a positive results with punishment only negative reactions.
    newtocooking

Answer by newtocooking at 4:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes you do! THis is my place of business, I am not going to debate with a child over a decission I have made, especially in my place of business. I am the parent, this is NOT up for discussion! End of conversation. And....who ever said life was fair?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No, I think she was right. You did something unfair and she called you out on it. There won't be boys over that night right?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2010