What age did you put a TV / DVD player in your childs room?

My son just turned 3 and my husband just set up one in his room today.. seemed a bit too early.. I guess maybe because I never had one maybe.. and the TV won't work, it would only be for a movie/special times/rest time but just wondering..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Mine have had a tv in their room since they were about 3. We had gotten them the V teck console that year and put a tv in their room so they could play it and then came the vhs/dvd combo player. Now they are 9 and 10 and they only have a small tv hooked up to cable.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My oldest is 8 and she has never had a tv in her room; we don't plan to put one in there, either.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My kids will never have a tv in their rooms... well maybe when they have jobs and can buy it... Tv time is family time here. What we watch we watch together and after they go to bed the tv is mine so there is no need for us to do this. I would hate for my child to be in there room all the time to watch tv. Obviously a 3 year old you would be controlling how often it was on but what about at 7.8 or 11? This is of course mine and my DH opinion...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• my oldest (7yr age difference between 1 and 2 and 11 yr between baby and oldest) just got TV in his room at 16 but we have 2 TV down stairs that we all watch together. I don't have TV in my room either, we try to hang out as family but uderstand teen don't have same taste as lil ones so he got one with limited access
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My dd didn't have one until she was about 16, my step daughter got one when she was 10 (not from me) I don't think they need one ever but if they get one I would wait until they are around 15-16. That's when I think they need to feel like they have their own space and alittle freedom from the parents.
    Anonymous

• My son was probably 4 or 5 when he got the tv in his room. It was just for movies before bed at first. Now at 12 he has dvr in his room.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My son is 3 and i don't plan on putting a t.v. in their room until theyre are at least in middle school!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We do not plan to put one in his room ,ever.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it was when they were around 10 or so. It worked out okay then. Any sooner would be too early.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 4:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010