Scrapbooking: Getting Started Ideas

I want to begin Scrapbooking. Do you have some good ideas of how to get started? Other than, "Just jump in."

Materials needed?
Special tools? How to organize supplies?
Best place to buy supplies?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 3:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Start simple! Sometimes going to a Creative Memories or Stampin UP! class (you can look up both online to find a demonstrater near you) can give you ideas. Or you can get a themed kit at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. They have the album, sheet protectors, papers, stickers, and sometimes a pair of scissors in it, along with some embellishments that you may or may not need. Pick up a scrapbooking themed magazine. There are lots out there and you will get tons of ideas!
    As far as basics, an album or three ring binder, card stock, patterned paper, pens for journaling, of course your pictures, and acid free glue, such as a glue stick or tape. ( Not the type you wrap gifts with).
    Organizing -- at first a small plastic drawer system like you see at Walmart will work, as long as it is large enough to house your papers and cardstock. Have fun!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have wanted to do this for a while, but still haven't made the leap.  Here's a good site for information...
    http://scrapbooking.about.com/od/gettingstarted/How_To_Get_Started_Scrapbooking.htm

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I found the best way to organize is to use copier paper box lids. I keep one for each of my themede scrapbooks and all the supplies in it for just that scrapbook. So I have a lid for heirloom, a lid for the grandkids scrapbooks, a lid for our travel scrapbook, etc. That way, when I want to work on a specific scrapbook, I can pick up the lid and take to the living room to stay with my family. Easy to organize and easy to clean up as everything goes back into one lid when done.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Start with a friend if you can, go to a class together, and each of you pick out a couple of tools to purchase, then get together, and share the tools that you have. I love the Creative Memories products, but they are expensive, and I've found a lot of fun things at Joanne's, Wal-Mart, and even the dollar store. The nice thing about classes, is you learn what you can do with your tools, and you get to try new ones out..
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:16 PM on Dec. 22, 2010

• Paper, scissors, glue. I'd suggest starting with those basics and then just shopping for the specific embellishments and tools that you see a need for as you're working, because buying stamps, punches, etc, can lead to a whole other world of expenses! Definitely organize as you accumulate... shoe boxes work well at first and then you'll start to see what kinds of storage will suit your supplies.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 2:04 AM on Dec. 29, 2010