My 5 year old has started peeing her pants again and now the furniture. When she does the pee pee dance I ask if she has to go to the bathroom and she says no.

skmclane

Asked by skmclane at 3:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When she does the pee pee dance, MAKE her go to the bathroom, don't ask her. And if you noticed she has not been to the bathroom in a while, make her use the toilet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When she does the pee pee dance, and then says no, say I think you do, make her go to the bathroom and sit anyway. She probably just doesn't want to quit what she's doing at the moment. Also, is something else stressful going on that might be causing this? See if you can aleviate it if something is happening.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with the above answer. But has something changed in her environment or routine to set her back?
    jessicadestiney

Answer by jessicadestiney at 3:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Could a UTI be the problem?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yea, they get so busy into what they are doing they wait until the last minute-when she starts that dance that is an sure sign that yes, she does have to go...
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 3:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Rule out medical problems like UTI or yeast infection first. Ask her if it hurts/burns when she pee's. My 5 year old went through a phase a few months ago where she was peeing her pants. I told her off to the doc we go, they confirmed she didn't have anything wrong medically, so I started making her wash her own pee underwear along with any chairs/couches/beds she peed on. She didn't like that so she stopped. Who knows why they do it, we can really only speculate. My daughter would tell me the bathroom's were occupied (we have 2.5 bathrooms so they're never ALL occupied).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes, rule out medical problems first, and think if there is anything stressful going on at home right now that could make her regress. When you see her do the pee pee dance, tell her time to go potty and make her go and sit on the toilet-don't give her an option. My son is 13 and even now he will get so involved with what he is doing that he won't want to stop to go potty and then suddenly he will go runnnnnnnning through the house to get to the bathroom.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 5:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with the other mom's - rule out a medical issue. If it is a phase, I hope for your sake it passes quickly.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 6:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes, rule out a bladder infection, then tell her to go to the bathroom.
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• When she does "the pee dance" don't ask her if she has to go, take her to the bathroom.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2010