Any suggestions on good books on child discipline?

I have a strong willed 2 1/2 year old boy, He is very defiant. I need help disciplining him in a more positive way. I find myself yelling alot and putting him in timeout, but that isn't working. Please help.

calnurse2004

Asked by calnurse2004 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I read this book once called The Happiest Toddler on the Block. I can't remember who it's by, but they offered a technique I have never heard of and it works pretty well.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:54 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• i found the super nanny book worked for me and reward charts with time out,if they sit there for the lenth of time they need to,i got my son to put a sticker in the charr toward is favouritenthing he really wants to,make it relistic and focus more on his good behaivour and use the sticker aswell,it worked for me
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 4:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• 1-2-3 Magic by Thomas Phelan is a miracle worker.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Love and Logic... I haven't read it but, it was suggested to me by my son's therapist.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:50 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• SHEPHERDING THE HEART OF A CHILD by Tedd Tripp is an excellent book for parents.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:38 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I love Love and Logic. It is simple and easy. I used that when teaching parenting classes. I also like P.E.T. approach. But that is a little dry reading. Love and Logic would be great.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I use 1 2 3 Magic and it works amazingly well, and it is very simple. You can read the book in an hour or two, and start the process right then.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I third the Love and Logic parenting, there is a book for kids up to 6 years old. Love it!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2008