Do you think being overweight is a

choice (overeating), a disease (cause of hormone imbalance, etc) or psychological (addiction, etc)?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Health

• I have been overweight for the last 30 years, and I don't regularly take in more calories than I should. I imagine I could loose weight if I were to starve myself and work out all the time, but I don't want to spend my life miserable to make myself aesthetically pleasing to others.  So, for me, it's a genetic flaw or something, it's not over-eating.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It can be both. But MOST people it's a poor choice.
    Like thyroid or diabetes can cause someone to gain a lot of weight and no matter what that person does they cant get rid of the weight
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think its both.. it varies from person to person. My sister is big, and its definitely her choice, others can't help it.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I became 40lbs over weight due to medication - at this point.. its my choice to stay this way and until I can work up some motivation and energy- it won't come off - now its my fault its staying.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it could be a combination of all of it. I am overweight... I have a thyroid condition, I don't make great food choices and I am an emotional eater.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• it can be one, the other, or a combo. in my case its both a and c. i dont always make the best food choices, and im not significantly overweight but if i wanted to lose weight i would have to choose my food options better. but that brings me to c. i am addicted to chocolate!

and i think the same (a b and c) can be said for underweight people. my mom suffers from hypothyroid and she's 110 pounds at 50 years old. she's been skinny my whole life. she also chooses to eat like a bird all day, which doesn't help her case!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• hyperthyroid*
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It depends. Some people do it to themselves. There are others that can't help it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think its all three, it depends on the person and their habits, or medical history.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 3:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• depends on the person and their situation. I know I am overweight by 'choice' I eat all wrong and I love my food. I guess If I wanted to I could argue it was psychological...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010