A New Low for Planned Parenthood-Abortion "Gifts"

Planned Parenthood: Give the Gift of Abortion for Christmas
As people through out the world Celebrate the Birth of Jesus the Christ, Planned Parenthood is offering Gift Certificates for All services including Abortion. Planned Parenthood wanting to participate in the Christian Holiday by offering what seems to be a way to mock the Christian Holiday. I mean what better way to celebrate a birth with a gift for an Abortion?

They call it a “gift,” but some would rather opt for a lump of coal.
A number of Planned Parenthood clinics in Indiana and Illinois are offering gift certificates for their services this Christmas.

Officials say the vouchers enable people to give their loved ones “the gift of life” — that would help pay for annual checkups and birth control — but also can be used for abortions.Chrystal Struben-Hall with Planned Parenthood of Indiana said the idea is a response to economic woes that have forced many women to put health care at the bottom of their to-do list.

“People are making really tough decisions about putting gas in their car and food on their table,” Struben-Hall said.

A number of religious and pro-life groups are outraged, saying that at a time when millions are preparing to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, Planned Parenthood is offering a gift that could fund an abortion.

“They can and will be used to end the lives of children at Christmas,” said Cathy Ruse of the Family Research Council. She believes the gift certificates will anger many, even those who are not deeply religious. “A coupon for abortion at Christmastime?” Ruse said. “That’s just inherently offensive, I think, to all Americans.”

Planned Parenthood of Indiana said the gift certificates will be especially useful in a state where, they say, 800,000 people are uninsured or cannot afford basic care.

Even the state’s Health Commissioner is calling the certificates a “really meaningful gift.”

Christmas controversy is not new to Planned Parenthood. In the mid-1990s it began offering “Choice on Earth” holiday cards. The American Life League called the twist on the “peace on earth” message found in the New Testament book of Luke bigoted “mockery.”

http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/11/planned-parenthood-give-the-gift-of-abortion-for-christmas/

Is this a thoughtful gift or a disgusting one?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 3:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think it's disgusting, but not too surprising since pp doesn't think of humans as humans. Only a "burden" that should be disposed of quickly. In this day and age, in this country especially, abortion should be almost non existent. There is no excuse for it other than danger to the life of the mother, which accounts for less than 1 per cent of abortions.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• seeing as Planned Parenthood does more than just abortions i can see why they think its important to have a gift card like service available. i went to PP for a pregnancy blood test b/c i didnt have an OBGYN in my area yet and would have had to wait 2 months to get the same info, so i fail to see how they are always a bad organization. its way too personal a gift for me to ever consider giving, but it could help some ppl out, especially those w/ no insurance.

its not like the coupon HAS to be used for an abortion or the giver is saying "here go have an abortion on me!"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Please...if someone opts for an abortion using a gift certificate, that is their choice. I feel that more will use it for pap smears (which may save their lives) or birth control (which will prevent unwanted pregnancies).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• From the PP website:

Planned Parenthood health centers focus on prevention: 82 percent of our clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy.

Planned Parenthood services help prevent more than 621,000 unintended pregnancies each year.

Planned Parenthood provides nearly one million Pap tests and more than 850,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer.

Planned Parenthood provides more than 3.3 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.

Three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services.

Planned Parenthood affiliates provide educational programs to more than 1.2 million young people and adults each year.

Planned Parenthood has more than four million activists, supporters, and donors working for women's health and safety and our fundamental reproductive rights.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Your source is a blog post quoting another blog post, which is a little suspect. However, digging a little further you can find stories from other new sources and even the Daily Show going back at least two years... so this isn't a new concept at all. I'd be very interested to know how many of these certificates were actually used for abortions in previous years, rather than for other services such as birth control, well-woman exams or blood tests (which is what I used Planned Parenthood for nearly 20 years ago).

Abortion is only three percent of Planned Parenthood's services.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I could use a free Pap Smear...

I know several who could use free birth control...

And there's probably a lot of women who could use free prenatal care...

Get your heads out of your keisters, people, Planned Parenthood isn't JUST for abortions
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• "Three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services."

Interesting...you would think based upon the vehemency of some of the replies that it would be more like 100% of their services were from abortions.

I am thankful for PP...they gave me and HIV test when my XH was cheating on me and it didn't cost me out the wazoo...and it didn't get reported to my insurance since it's none of their business.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm pro choice... I personally wouldn't give up a pregnancy.

“We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.”
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i am pro choice but I really doubt that most people are going to use it for abortions... probably birth control or pap smears. I don't believe it should be shut down, there would be so many more unwanted pregnancies, back alley abortions, I think affordable birth control should be offered to everyone, regardless of age.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's not an abortion gift card, it's a pp gift card. If the user uses it for an abortion, that is on their own hearts. They provide many other worthwhile services.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010