Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If someone has stolen my social security number what can i do to protect it?

Do they have monitor sites etc?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • Yes you can also put a freeze on your credit or set it up where they have to call you before any line of credit is taken out. Just call the credit bureaus.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Put a stop on credit card activites. That is how I had Identity theft 8 years ago. GL, back then even the police did not know what to do with my case...

    Answer by mamacita69930 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • i had to call the social security office and let them know. they put a red flag on my number so that if it was used in any way, shape or form the person would have to be ID'd and answer all kinds of security questions that nobody on this earth would know the answer to but me. the red flag stays up for a year i believe. in addition to doing that, you can also monitor it yourself by running a credit report and seeing if anything looks fishy on it.

    Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Yes, what mommy of two 388 said. If you have a police report, they will put the freeze on for free. Also go online with the federal trade commission, and they have all kinds of information and instructions.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 3:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • First pull your credit report from all three bureaus (
    If anything is wrong inform the companies reporting inaccurate information.
    Put a freeze on your credit report.
    File a report with the police and then send a copy of that report to all three credit bureaus.
    If you know who stole it tell the police.

    You can get a company to monitor your credit report, but putting a freeze on it is probably better since it won't allow new accounts to be open in your name- assuming that the company offering the line of credit actually checks the report first. Some done.

    Good luck. Sorry you are going through this.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • First call the police. Then pull credit reports, you can also do your own back ground check on yourself.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Been there done that with police reports , credit report stops. and calling every single store to make sure I would not have to pay $25,000woth of merchandise. So I can write a very long book on this subjest. Just think that was 8 years ago! It was a nightmare, so glad it is over. By the way, keep putting stops otherwise the people stealing your identity will go right back to using your number since you can not change it.

    Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

  • Honestly it is a tedious process. Also you have a certain amount of time to get everything corrected. I have been using a service for about a month that helps me monitor every point of my identity and helps to restore your identity and fix what had happened. If you are interested in more info let me know by PM.

    Answer by mommy2each at 10:20 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • You'll want to contact all three credit bureaus to freeze your account. You'll also want to look over your credit report and dispute any errors. You'll also want to contact ALL your creditors and tell them your identity was stolen. Examine all credit card statements carefully.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

  • I have a PrePaid Legal membership, which includes ID Theft ... basically this monitors my credit report and will alert me to any activity on my credit reports. It's less than $40 a month and well worth it to me. It also monitors kids because many ID thieves are targeting kids SS #s because no one ever checks a kids credit, and they dont' even realize they've become a victim of ID theft until years later when they turn 18 and try to establish credit only to find themselves thousands of dollars in debt. And if they do find a problem, they can help you restore your credit to where it was before the incident.

    I read a story the other day about an 18 yr old, trying to get a college loan, found out he had over $40,000 in debt, 6 yr old debt. OBVIOUSLY not his (he was only 12 ) but he couldn't get his college loan till he cleared it up. I mean REALLY ?

    Answer by MaryJacobs at 11:01 AM on Dec. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.