34 Weeks......What problems can baby and mom have?

I have a friend who was not in labor. Her water broke, doc decided to induce labor today. We are all concerned about babys health and of course moms health.

Did anyone have a baby at 34 week?
How healthy was your baby?
Did baby come home or stay in hospital? how long?

TiffanyPlew

Asked by TiffanyPlew at 3:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well its called labor if her water broke.
    With today technology the baby has a very high chance of being healthy. The baby may have to stay in the hospital till he/she can breathe on their own, eat on their own and are a certain weigh. It all depends on how healthy the baby is born.
    Best of luck and congrats to your friend
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Actually she had NO signs of labor, water broke (or should I saying leaking) yesterday 1:30p, no contractions, no dilation, cervix still closed. Doc induced labor today at 11:ooa, still no signs of labor
    TiffanyPlew

Comment by TiffanyPlew (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I had two of mine at 35 weeks. I had no issues personally. My first one was very healthy but small. Barely 4lbs. She didnt require extra care. The other, she was bigger...little over 5 lbs but she had breathing problems & sucking problems & had to have a feeding tube for a week. She was in NICU for a week. She ended up having very bad reflux which continued to be a problem for her first two years.
    Anonymous

• If your water breaks, they induce you after a certain amount of time due to risk of infection
    Anonymous

• Both of my boys were born at 32 weeks. My oldest was 5 pounds 1 ounce and stayed in the NICU for 15 days. He got oxygen from an oxygen hood for about a week or so. He got his formula from a tube that went up his nose and to his stomach for about a week and a half before he could drink formula from a bottle. My younger son was 4 pounds 5 ounces. He stayed in the NICU for 21 days. He was on cpap for the first night. Then he wasn't on any oxygen at all the rest of the time. He did have some apnea spells. They gave him caffeine for that. He grew out of it. He also had some pretty bad reflux at first. He grew out of that too after a couple of months. My oldest is 7 now and my youngest is 14 months. They are both healthy boys and if you saw them now you would never guess that they were preemies.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 4:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I had a baby at 34w3d. He spent 12 days in the nicu and almost died during his first week of life. I had pre-eclampsia and was induced. At 34 weeks brachycardia and apnea is common.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010