My father told me something once about something he had read...

It was that we keep living over and over again until we get it right and that we go through each one of those lifetimes dealing with the same people but in different positions in our lives. For example...in the next life, your now mother could be your daughter and your now father, could be your brother in the next life and that someone that you were madly in love with in a prior life because they were an amazing person, you may end up feeling the same for them in this life even if they are now equivalent to Atila the Hun.

This kinda makes sense because honestly, my husband and I don't like each other much, we have nothing in common and we don't fullfill what the others expectations of a life partner should be. He is no where near the kind of man I would have expected to want to spend the rest of my life with...not his values, morals, ethics, familyship, nothing about him screams this is the man for you but for some reason, we both have this madly attached unexplained love for each other and can't/won't let go.

Does this make sense or is there some other type of insane explanation for it?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• Makes perfect sense to me. Being raised Hindu, I have a very devout and firm belief in reincarnation. Part of the basic belief of reincarnation is that we do encounter the same people that we are karmically connected to lifetime after lifetime. Same people, just in different relationships/situations..etc. We develop karmic ties to people, especially family members/spouses/lovers/people we have wronged & those who wrong us. What someone does to us adds to their karma, how we respond/react to what someone does adds to our karma. So just that simple act of cause & affect keeps people linked for lifetime after lifetime. As part of the belief in reincarnation, once one obtains enlightenment (learned all the lessons they needed to learn, have righted their wrongs, have reached detachment..etc) then that person no longer suffers the cycles of birth & death and our karmic ties are broken.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't know, but this is an interesting theory.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have heard/read this too - who knows if its true, but it sure jogs the mind doesn't it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Good thought and I believe life to be somewhat the same, little different in my eyes but nice to see someone with the same philosophy.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I believe that we tend to marry the person whose weaknesses we are best qualified to help. That's most often not the person we think we would have picked had we known what all those weaknesses were. I think that's why when we marry the vows include the "for better or for worse" clause. There are, I believe, some things that we positively cannot identify in our mates until after we are married. I think this is evidenced by the numbers of divorces that occur after a couple has lived together pre marriage. There's something about making those vows that sets in motion the two-becoming-one process. I will never forget the first great revelation into what a "rat" my husband was, and it was during the first week of our marriage, and that will soon be 46 years ago. We have always loved each other, and I think you and your husband love each other, and that love is the bond that holds you together in spite of all the differences.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010