Any tricks and how to make the switch from a bottle to a cup a smooth transaction?

My DD is 14 months...

1stimemommy87

Asked by 1stimemommy87 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cold turkey is how I did. There is no smooth way about it. Its going to be tough they are going to cry but keep a strong head and dont give in
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would work on moving to sippys first. opt for the ones that have a soft spout.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You can try a sippy cup with a soft spout called a Nubby.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started at about 8 months. I think a 14 month old ought to get the hang of it quickly. I'd start with 1 meal then move till she is drinking from a sippy cup at all meals
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started introducing the sippy when baby was 5-6 months old...there was no transition needed, they knew how to use it so it was just a matter of getting the bottle away, which didn't take much fuss.
    Anonymous

• I did the same started it early and she pretty much just took the sippy on her own. When she turned 12 months I put the bottles away.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I started by giving her juice in the sippy (I diluted about 1:4), then moved over to milk gradually as she became used to it. She really wanted the juice, so she was happy take it. She struggled with the cup though, and the only one I could find to work at first was one by NUK called the Learner Cup. Soon after she was able to use most sippy cups. I've recommended this cup to several other moms who have noted that it worked wonders as a transition cup. Good luck!
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 10:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Well she knows how to drink from sippy cups but she spits it back out when she realizes when its milk and not juice in there.
    1stimemommy87

Comment by 1stimemommy87 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010