My son just tuned one on the 15th. He refuses to feed himself, this includes holding his own bottle, chewing, eating finger foods (or any solid foods). Can someone please help me? Any advice would be great, especially for transitioning my son from the bottle to a sippy cup. Thanks.

LFamily2011

Asked by LFamily2011 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son who is 3 now, never held his own bottle, no matter how hard I tried.. he didn't grasp the whole spoon thing or sippy cup until 15 months. . he was a later eater on solids because he choked a lot - I think just each baby differs. Talk to your Ped about it and see what they think... it can take time for some - its ok.For our son I took away the nap bottle first then the bedtime a couple days later.. offer a sippy of water instead.. its hard for most I think at first but the earlier you do it, the easier it will be to break.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• well considering that he doesn't want to hold his own bottle then it would be great to start him a sippy... but just as for the food it could be a faze but just keep putting things in front of him or just don't feed him yourself like the finger foods and things so that he knows he'll have to do it himself.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I would talk to your pediatrician too. 

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• What a difficult time this must be for you. The first thing that comes to mind is maybe go and visit your peadiatrition for great tips I'm thinking that he/she would have had this issue with many babies and have some good tips. I have two opinions: 1. When your baby is hungry only put out the foods and cup and not the bottle if your baby is hungry they will want to eat something and if your baby does give him/her lots of praises. Can you tolerate the tantrums this might cause in the interim. 2. some children don't like texture in the food and I have heard this can be a realy issu that needs doctors advice, or maybe your baby will just let you know when he/she is ready. Just like potty training they let you know when their ready. Alot of options here I have written hope its helpled
    taylorlea

Answer by taylorlea at 4:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• See the doctor he or she should be able to guide you. So you know my son is 10 months and he is would not use a sippy cup. He is now using a 'real' cup a plastic clear cup, which I help him with. He uses his cup when ever he is drinking something besides formula. All kids learn and develop on different schedules and some skip sipps. Good Luck.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When my daughter turned 1 last year, I gave her a sippy cup soon as I could cause of ear infections. She had a hard time with a sippy at 1st cause of the new shape and she had a 'work" hard drinking out of that sippy. So I gave her fav juice, V-8 bannaa smoothie and took the little plastic thing out so she could tip it and get juice out, just had a little bit in it so she didn't choke. Then let her see me put more juice in it, put the plastic thing back in, and it worked. Now I am having problems with her and drinking out of a cup. lol Have no advice of the food thing, my daughter always been independent and was eating with hands and sometimes a spoon when she was 10 months old.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010