Tantrum stoppers!

When you're out in public and you can't just 'leave all your stuff in the cart and go', what do you do to stall or stop your little one from having a tantrum?

I usually offer food/drink first
If that's refused I do funny faces/noises/dancing/pretend crying (I could care less who see's me haha)
Give them something to distract them (youtube video's/apps on phone work great)
Make vroom vroom noises and steer the cart like a drunk idiot

That's all I've got. 9 times out of 10 I can stop a tantrum that way. Curious what other mommies do when they find themselves in that situation.

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 4:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can leave a cart full, just find a store employee and alert them that you are leaving a full cart and taking your child out of the store.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That is pretty good, you know my kids never did this in public, but they outdid themselves at home!

Answer by older at 4:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have tried taking him to the toy aisle and say something like kids that don't use words don't get toys.

I have tried the food thing but does not work well.

Last but not least threaten to tell daddy on him.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 4:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I let him throw his fit if I HAVE To bring it home.. Otherwise I take him aside and remind him this is NOT ok and he will be in time out once we are home..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I pop his butt. Stops that right there.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Well I havent really had too much of a problem with this, so its never really come up, I have had to get on my daughter for touching everything, and trying to take the price tags off everything, then she just gets put in the cart which she hates. I think it helps that I make sure that they are fed right before shopping (we make it a special time to go and get something to eat, its our twice a month treat) and that its not at there nap time. I also like to make sure we have a drink with us. That pretty much helps to keep them from getting worked up, also to try and keep them involved, I give them the add when we walk in, and let them "help" with what we need, and give them there own lists that they drew out for me, so they can tell me what we need.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My daughter is two, and I just let her throw her fit. Every time we go to the store she gets buckled in the cart and stays there until we leave. We have a talk before we go in the store, that if there's no fit, she can have a cookie when we leave. If she throws a fit, no cookie. While she screams I just keep shopping and don't give her any special attention. When she's not screaming, I talk to her about the shopping, let her help me pick things out, or sing songs. Either way, I'm not going to drop everything and leave because she's screaming. She's learning that the world doesn't revolve around her. I get looks sometimes, but I don't let it bother me, and to tell you the truth, after the first week or so she pretty much quit throwing fits at the store. What's the point if it doesn't get you anywhere? Make sure that you're not making it harder on your toddler by avoiding shopping around nap-time/dinner/snack-time/etc.
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 6:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• 1. I sternly tell DD, that if she doesnt behave, we will go home, and she will go to bed. I make sure she understands, bu asking her, what happens if she is naughty, and she will say "home to bed".
    2. I give her 3 chances to behave, and I count them out as she does them, and let her know, im not joking around. I might pop her hand once to show I mean business.
    3. If she doesnt behave, I say "Thats 3. Now we will go home and you will go to bed." And I dont say another word to her until we get home.

I take her home, put her down, and say "You were very naughty at the store, and now you are going to lay down and not get up until I come to get you." And I dont go in there until she settles down.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010