Have a question about laptops?

I am wondering how the process works? If the laptop already has a modem, why is it, I have to have rent or buy one, to have internet access.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 4:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Technology

• Most do not have modems any longer. They have wifi cards which enable them to link to a wireless router which "routes" the signal FROM your modem to the wifi cards in laptops, ipod, iphones, desk tops, blu ray players, tvs etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• And traditional modems that were in older laptops and desktops are for dial up over phone lines and not for the Cable or DSL technology.
    twinsplus2more

• New ones have built-in modems - what you are renting or buying is an air card to access the internet anywhere (I'm making a big assumption that is what you are referring to) -
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010