How to get back into the christmas thing of it all???

For 10 years it has only been my husband, my son, and I who did so little for christmas. We never went out spent time with family, or go out to see the lights. Just the 25th came, some present that we did buy for our son was open and that was our christmas. Regular dinner and back to life. We never put up any christmas things around or outside of the house. Nothing big was really done for Christmas. Now it is Christmas.....my sisters who I have not seen in 5 years came back ito my life. My two brothers is now back in my life after 15 years of not hearing anything from them. All of my in laws, his cousin, nephew, aunts, uncles and his 1 daughter who he has not seen sents the age of 9(26 and still counting)....are coming back into our life. So christmas is here and family is around asking us to come to their christmas dinner and partys. Handing out gifts and goodies. But the promblem is that both my husband and I do not know how to react to this we lossed the christmas spirit and do not know how to get it back. For us christmas was just plain jane for us and now we been hit hard by all these going on. Honestly how do you get back the christmas spirit when it was lost sooo many years ago? Plus, also rememberthat my dad passed away on the 18th of Dec and we buried him on the 22nd of dec 1992. My husband been asking me this question and I have no answer. Please help.

BrknWingAngel

Asked by BrknWingAngel at 4:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• start small. Christmas isn't about gifts and it isn't about food. It is about Christ and family. The birth of Jesus is celebrated, so start by celebrating the "rebirth" of you family. Make cookies as your gifts, it doesn't have to be extravagant and bring those with you... something simple. Find the joy in family, find the joy in each other.. celebrate that. Holidays remind us to take a break, breath and get back in touch with Jesus, the holy family and our own family. If you're atheist or don't believe in Christ.. just think of celebrating your family. Good luck finding your spirit and Merry Christmas!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 4:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Just take it slow.. If you go only stay a short while. If you want to take something for everyone, just make some cookies, etc. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on anything, and I'm sure they would all understand. This too is a tough time for me, and have no family but our boys and my Hubby at Christmas, when yrs ago it was a BIG family thing. Then both my parents died, and our family fell apart..... I just take it one step at a time, and know that it is just another day, but I try to make memories for our boys by making cookies, and letting them help out with doing things, like making cards and giving them out etc.. Hope it all works out for you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Start by baking a few cookies. I think food helps us all. Go and visit and take cookies. That is easy enough, or go purchase some. I love when people bring me food.
    Visit and enjoy family, family is what is important. Not the stuff. Being apart is done, now you have to move back to gether. It is really about talking and enjoying them. Getting to know them again.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010