can i drink a beer while breastfeeding?

how much does beer affect your baby while you breast feed? When is it in your milk? Does it hurt them?

momlpn2

Asked by momlpn2 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rule of thumb is if you are legal to drive you are legal to breastfeed. For most having a beer or two on occassion will not harm your breastfeeding baby. Alcohol leaves your breastmilk as it is removed from your blood so once you are sober your milk no longer has alcohol in it.
    MaddsMom728

Answer by MaddsMom728 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I heard that it takes about 4 hours or so after having a beer for the alcohol to be completely gone from your system. If you go out for a few drinks at night and feed your baby in the morning, you should be ok (assuming the night out isn't too late).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• You can ..They offer alcohol test strips at the store to tellyou if there is alcohol in your breatmilk or not.. But mu look on it is that if you stopped drinking for 9 months then what is 6 more months going to hurt? ..Don't get mad this is just my look on it but If you can't wait a little bit longer for a drink then you have a habbit and you need to stop and think witch one is more important to you? YOUR CHILD OR ALCOHOL ??
    smtngirl

Answer by smtngirl at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• drink up. But not alot. More than 1 drink and you have to wait, pump, and dump. My baby wasn't affected at all, but thats just him.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• After each drink (one glass of wine, one beer, or one shot) you should wait 3-4 hours before nursing again. Most doctors and moms will tell you that ONE drink won't affect your milk, but any more than that and you'll have to wait a lot longer before nursing again.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If your are going to drink, I'd say pump plenty of milk first that way you'd have given your body time to get rid of that stuff. Anything consumed goes right through the milk so becareful on what you share with baby.
    daisie

Answer by daisie at 8:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I had the same question. I wanted a wine cooler and was hesitant so I didn't take one. I would pump and dump after drinking. But one beer should leave your blood pretty quick.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2008