How can you tell the difference between pink eye and just red eyes?

DS had a really red eye the other day (just one) but it didn't itch, no goo, etc. It was clear yesterday, maybe the day before (don't know if I looked, my bad). Today it's red on the left side of his left eye. He says it doesn't itch. Whaddya think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My experience with Pinkeye has been with goo. I think I have pinkeye right as a matter of fact.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 5:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• With pinkeye there will definitely be extra discharge from the eye, and it itches and stings like crazy. If it's not bothering him, doesn't itch or hurt or anything, then he probably doesn't have "pink-eye" conjunctivitis. It's easily diagnosed by an optometrist though, and an easy fix with some eye drops if he does have it.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Not a doctor, but pink eye usually is very itchy pretty much right off the bat. There is also usally swelling around the eye. I would say just red eyes, but would probably go to the doc if you are worried about it. Better safe than sorry!
    TeacherMeg23

Answer by TeacherMeg23 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think with pink eye it would be more noticeable and goo, that is what I have always seen. I had it myself as a child and had a foster child that came into my home with it as well, and there was a lot of goo.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 5:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Pink eye is very itchy and gooey. It might start out just red but then make sure you look at it first thing in the morning.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My experience with pink eye there was always goo & itchiness. I have allergies and I think that eye is what mine looks like when they are bothered. If it is not bothering him, maybe bring it up to the doctor (and bring the pic) at your next appt.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 6:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The goo... ds gets red eyes all the time during allergy season and the school kept sending him home so I would take him to the dr. and RIGHT BACK to school... till they got it and put an allergy note in his file. So yeah, I got a LOT of practice on distinguishing the 2.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If his eye isn't itching and oozing with goo, then I would say it's probably allergies.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Everyone is correct. We just got a letter sent home from school because one of the children was diagnosed with pink eye. They said the eyes will be itchy and watery and have a yellow discharge upon waking. They said that once the child is on the medication for 24 hours they are no longer contagious though. Good luck

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• that is not pink eye. look up conjunctivitis pictures.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2010