Needing Advice

Is it wrong for me to ask my husband to sit in on a conversation with my daughter when I know she is wanting to talk to me about how unfair I am? Is he not a parent also? We are parenting under the same roof and there is no way I can do it on my own. I know it will make her very angry, but I can not do it on my own.

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 5:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There's nothing wrong with having two parents listening. My teenage daughter usually does better telling my husband how unfair I am.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 5:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Nope, not wrong at all. In fact, I think it is his duty to be there. Fathers have a lot more influence on their daughters than do we moms. So, I would just arrange the conversation to take place when he is present. I probably wouldn't even ask him in advance if you think he is likely to cut out on you.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't think it is wrong but I think I would hear the complaints personally, write them down, stay calm, and then say that the conversation needs to continue with dad there too. I would grant the child the privacy she wants but tell her it is a situation that needs to be handled by both parents. I would remind her when you and husband are both there that she can always come to either of you with her problems. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It's probably better that he is there.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I guess, I would pick my battles. If she prefers to tell you or your DH or both - do it. Be thankful that she's talking to one of you. Let her know that whomever she talks to decisions will be discussed with the spouse and you will be a united front. But she should be given credit for talking about her feelings and not bottling them up as so many teens do these days.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010