Any of your children see passed loved ones?

My son ( 3 ) has started telling us in detail about his "grandpa" who comes to his bed each night, this is not an attention thing and he seems genuinely scared by this.. we did the monster spray and it worked the first 2 nights but then he said it doesn't work because he still comes to his bed every night.. and wants to know why.. I am certain this is not from Toy story or the Sprout channel which is the only thing he's ever watched.. I let him tell me things and try not to feed him with questions or answers but.. I am at a little bit of a loss.. this morning at 3am he wet his bed so I was changing his pants and he said Mommy... he is on my Bed.. can you spray him? I said well Honey, is he nice to you when he comes to see you? He said, Yes.. I said well then how about you talk to him or waive so he waived at him then slowly walked towards him and then said he was gone..this has slowly been going on now for 2 months... each week he tells us a little more about his shirt color, and last night he said He has a face now because he didn't before and he has hands that try to touch his hands at night.. anyone else go through this??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• My third child was 2 when my uncle died. We had been gone from the area for awhile and came back and was fixing up my family home. All that she would have remembered of him was of a sick man that I took care of and she called Uncle Jackie though she was on his mind till the end. After he had gone into a kind of comma she shut her hand in his door. He yelled out what is wrong with the baby! Sometime after his death she was playing tea party and we asked her who she had at her tea party and she said well Uncle Jackie. We had a few visits from him and my father and my grandparents. (we live in the house that my grandfather died in) But we just do what onemellowmom said we just say it is ok they came back to say I love you.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 5:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When my son was about 2 he would talk about the angel in his room. Then we were looking through family pictures and he saw a picture of my great grandmother (his great great grandmother) who passed away about a year after DS was born and said that was the angel that visits him in his room. I simply told him that she was family and loved him very much (she adored my son) and she probably just wanted to watch over him, keep him safe and say I love you.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh, I also don't ask question after question to him about it.. I let him start and let him be done once he wants to stop talking about it.. I just want to know if any other parents have gone trhough this.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My in laws wanted my 2 yr old and 6 month old to watch my FIL die. But I refuse to. Everyone just sat in my in laws front room waiting till he died but I removed my children because I could tell it was taking a toll on my daughter. She knew everyone was sad but didnt know what was going on didnt know why grandpa couldnt hold her or talk to hr so I left and stayed else where. But I was still the one to find my FIL had passed
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I remember when I was a kid dreaming about loved ones who had died. They seemed very real to me. Is there any chance that he is dreaming this stuff?
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My husband saw his granny after she passed away and our younger daughter told us that her Papa was her guardian angel after he passed away.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• It could only be one grandpa who died 10 years ago.. we are trying to dig up a picture but can't seem to find one.. I am very curious to see what his reaction to a picture would be..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That is what we are telling him right now too.. It was daddys favorite grandpa. you don't need to be scared, he just loves you.. talk to him, its ok.. but I know he is very scared and he already has 2 nightlights and a mini flashlight he sleeps with to keep the "monsters" away .. Just a mommy helpless feeling I guess..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i had a baby when my son was 3 - he was too involved in the pregnancy retrospectively but we couldnt have known... the baby had a genetic condition and died... and so my son is aware that he has a brother in heaven. and he claims to see him - play with him but only when he is asleep - but that doesnt scare him because i think my son is wanting for that interaction and sees his brother as "an angel" rather than a "ghost" could you tell your son that he is his guardian angel... that he is there to protect him? might make him feel better. i have never heard of anyone really being harmed from believing in angels.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010