Christmas Trees Make “Non-Christians Feel Excluded”?

Boo-hoo-hoo. A tree covered with lights and decorations is so “threatening” especially if we “really do value respecting and including diversity”.

(Telegraph UK)— Researchers at Simon Fraser University in Canada, found non-Christians feel less self-assured and have fewer positive feelings if a Christmas tree was in the room.

The scientists conducted the study using 77 Christians and 57 non-believers, including Buddhists and Sikhs. (Ed. note: What no Muslims? Were they afraid of being bombed or sued or something?)

The participants did not know the survey was about Christmas, and were asked to fill in questions about themselves both when a 12-inch Christmas tree was in the room and when it was not.

“Non-celebrators” reported fewer positive feelings and less self-assurance in the Christmas room. Christians were mostly cheered by the tree.

Christians, however, did report feeling more guilt when a tree was in the room, which, claim the researchers, suggests the holidays can be stressful.

Michael Schmitt, a social psychologist behind the research, decided to carry out the study after controversy over whether Christmas should be celebrated in public in case it offends non-Christians.   He said: “Simply having this 12-inch Christmas tree in the room with them made them feel less included in the university as a whole, which to me is a pretty powerful effect from one 12-inch Christmas tree in one psychology lab.  “I don’t think it’s really going to undermine anyone’s experience of Christmas to tone it down.

“We’re not suggesting ‘no Christmas’ or ‘no Christmas displays at all,’ but in contexts where we really do value respecting and including diversity in terms of religion, the safest option is not to have these kinds of displays.

“I understand why it might feel threatening to people.  But I think if people do care about making a whole range of different kinds of people feel included and respected, then we can make some small changes that would go a long way toward creating a more multicultural or inclusive society.”

The researchers published their results in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

www. weaselzippers. net

christmas tree

Should we ban trees?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 5:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yeah it is a valid question. No need for a troll sign UNLESS you are totally insecure.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• http://barenaked.dnsalias.net:8080/images/god-kills-kitten-troll.jpg

Oh, and look, it's yet another link for that website she swears she's not affiliated with, yet shows up in half the stuff she copies and pastes...

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• how much do you get paid for spamming us?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Christmas trees are a borrowed practice from the time when people would decorate live tress growing in the forest. It's not Christian in origins.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't think christmas trees should be banned. They are not christian in origin anyway.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• A study of only 134 students is hardly conclusive evidence of anything. Did they bother segmenting the groups into those who grew up with Christmas trees vs. those that didn't? How about a comparative study based on the size of the tree? A 12" tree is not the norm (reminds me of the one my minimalist MIL puts out).

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Hnmmm, whoever wrote this piece is a complete idiot. Especially since they put in the tidbit about not including Muslims because of terrorist fears at a Canadian university. If they knew anything about Canada and terrorism they would know that the largest ever terrorist attack on Canadians (a plane bomb) was done by Sikhs who were included in the "study." Sounds like it's just another hateful bit of Christian propoganda.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 6:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• um...ok...
    I'm an atheist and I love the trees!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Hey NP, you don't go by another nick do you? Are you the yoga troll in spandex? I ask, because she uses that exact same silly saying about kittens.
    Funny, but you don't strike me as the "kitten" type. LOL
    SavageGrl

Comment by SavageGrl (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010