Family Meeting

Has anyone ever held a family meeting to discuss rules and consequences and problems you are having in your home? If so how do you go about it?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 5:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I haven't because my son is only 10mos. but my family always had family meetings and I (as the teenager) responded well. The line I will all ways remeber is when my dad said 'if you and your sister don't follow these rules, I will quit my job and be a stayat home dad because you are my ONLY real job'. My dad was a very strict man and that line scarred my straight. (I don't remember not what I even did lol)
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes, we would often say we wanted to sit down and discuss a few things. We picked a time when no one had to run off for any other commitment. We would discuss whatever the issue was and ask the others what they would like to say making sure each one got some time to talk with no interruptions. Make sure the kids feel you are truly listening and hear their concerns/ideas. And make sure they hear you even if you have to make them repeat the issues back to you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Steven Covey has a book ~ 7 Habits of Effective Family and outlines the family meeting you can get it at your library
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 5:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes we have, as the boys got older. Have things written down. Make a contract if you have to & have them sign it. Although you have your rules & expectations, depending on the topic, be willing to negotiate w/ them so they feel like they are part of the meeting & not part of the problem. For example, I didnt just say I wanted their help in the kitchen, I asked them to look thru the cookbook, make a list (w/in reason of course) & they could be part of the meal planning & prep. of a recipe they choose. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My mom did that with us a couple times when I was younger. And it went pretty good.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2010