How can I start to introduce my 10 mo old to religion?

We (my husband and I) take him to church every sunday. He know and says the word cross, he know the word Reverend. But I am not sure what else I can do. Should I use story books, can anyone suggest some good ones?

P.S we are christains

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For my 2 year old we got some board books, and then we got some toys - Fisher Price makes a Little People Noah's Ark set and a Nativity set (although it has the Wise Men, but not the shepherds - weird). That way, when he's playing we can also talk about the corresponding stories. I also make sure he sees me reading the Bible and praying as well. At night, since he was born the last part of our bedtime routine was saying prayers with him (we just did a real simple "God Bless Our Family, Amen" - and he can now say it by himself). We also have a couple Wee Sing CDs with kids Bible songs on them to listen to in the car.

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2010

• He's 10 months old what more do you want him to do recite the Bible? The most you can do to introduce him to religion is continue to do what you're already doing with taking him to church etc. As he gets older he may have questions and you'll have to cross that bridge when you get to it. At 10 months though taking him to church should be enough exposure. It's not like he can read or speak in full sentences so I don't know what else you want from him.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• If you want to introduce him to your religion and your beliefs, well, aren't you doing that every day? You live your belief system, right? You take him to the places you go, he hears and sees how you live your life.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• scary
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• beyond taking him to church and maybe reading him stories I'm not sure what you want exactly...

by doing that you have already introduced him to your beliefs
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think you are on the right track. There are some great board books out there that you could get for him. Go to your local Christian bookstore and see what you can find. There are even little people toys that are Noah's ark and a Nativity that you can get for him to play with. Hope that helps you.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Well, he's 10 months old, I really don't think there's much you can do right now, other than continue to take him to church and maybe read those storybook Bibles to him. But until he's older, I would not expect much. It's not like at 10 months he's going to have a clue who or what you are talking about.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Sounds like you are already introducing him to religion. He is going to church and is learning. Read some Bible stories at home.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Um, don't. Take him to church because obviously you can't leave him home alone. But let it evolve naturally. Wait for him to be able to come to you and ask.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 9:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think teaching your child about what you believe is important, don't let anyone convince you otherwise! If you don't "indoctrinate" him someone else will. Lead by example...he will follow. Going to church is great, you can also get Christian colouring books and story books. Say family prayers or grace together. Love you neighbour and he will learn by your actions. They are little sponges at this age and will pick up on everything you do. There's a great website called Domestic Church. http://www.domestic-church.com/

(it's Catholic) but has lots of great idea for things to do with kids anf families.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2010