Just out of curisotiy, do you or some people you know think that school is their babysitter?

I asked this question #1 a mom wrote it in her profile that she wasn't going back to work until her child was in school " that way the school was the babysitter". #2 I have also heard it referred to bysome,(not on here so much) as a glorified baby sitting job that you don't have to pay for. I was just curious. I know that some parents will send their children to school knowing that they are sick(throwing up, high fever,sore throat).Do people realize how unhealthy this is? Then parents are upset that the school has called to come pick them up while they are throwing up and fever is 101 ( This is not a just for fun ?,but I didn't know where to put it)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Nov. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dunno, some parents really don't care if they get other people's kids sick.

My parents sent me to stay in beforeschool and afterschool care even though they didn't have to go to work early and stay late. They were always at home for hours before and after I was supposed to be at school.

I personally wouldn't treat my kid's school as a babysitter...in my opinion that's abusing the system.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:21 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes, I know. I am the nurse who takes care of the sick children. You are right about some parents. I live in Eastern Pa and we have many parents who go to jobs in NJ and NY. They have moved here in the last few years and have not made any friends and they don't know their neighbors. Therefore, they have no back up for their children and they are an hour or more away. I blame it on a society that encourages materialism and has given women the "advantage" of working fulltime outside of the home. It's only an advantage if you can also take care of your chidlren. Same goes for the fathers.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:07 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I want to add that it isn't all about moms who work an hour away. It's an individual thing. Moms who work or don't work and live in town don't always do a better job. I would love to be an on call nurse who would stay home with or pick up sick kids if their moms or dads aren't available. I feel for those kids and their parents. There are some loving parents (and I have been one) who are stuck between a job and parenting, being pulled in two different directions. It's always a balancing act if you have to work. I have one mom who is starting a new job and is sure to lose it because she can't get the bugs out of her kids hair so she can come back to school. Another entrapeneurial venture in my mind, Treating kids with lice successfully and quickly so they can get back to school. Families are short on time. It's very stressful.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:14 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• At my school yes. I have one student who is picked up late everyday and the mother has told the office people that "it is their job" to watch her kids. She is, in general, 30 min. late per day. We don't offer after school care. I have to make arrangements and pay someone to pick up my child. It makes me really mad and my principal could stop this. Also her kids are out of control, and this adds to the chaos they cause. So yes, people believe this and I think it borders on abuse when it is done the way it is at my school. The kids could be taken to the closest police precinct, but my boss won't do that.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Lots of people see it that way. I know people who love the idea of universal preschool, because they won't have to pay for day care. They don't really care if their kids are benefiting or not, or struggling or not.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I don't know how parents can do this because I personally, don't send my children if they are throwing up or have a temperature the night before or in the morning. Not only, is it unsafe for my children, but as well as their classmates because of the germs that can be spread. Our school offers after-school programs which our kids participate in and I've been a few (maybe 10) minutes late, but as far as everyday, NO because it's our job to be on time as well as they would be removed from the program. IMO, school should be treated as just that, SCHOOL, not "DAYCARE". It is the parent's job to find adequate before and after school care for their children because unless their children take part in after school programs, the school's "responsibility" ends at the end of the school day.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I can agree with not going back to work until my kids are in school part. For one I can't afford daycare to go back to work. Two, I want to be with them to teach them while they are still young but once they are in school I would have no purpose at home if they are in school. With that said, the people you are describing doesn't sound right. It is unfair to send a child to school who is that sick. It is unfair to the child, the other children and the school staff. Just because I work would not mean that my kids had to go everyday as a "baby-sitter" just as you couldn't send them to an actual baby-sitter being that sick. I guess those people just couldn't get off work or get anyone to baby-sit for them?? I don't know but it is definitely wrong to send them like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Heck no! I have 4 kids, 2 old enough for school right now. My oldest hardly EVER gets sick. Even when the rest of us are sick, he doesn't get it. Great immunity. My second born DS is sick ALL the time. He has missed way too much school already this year because of it. We are trying to figure out what to do about this with the Dr. I really wish the other parents would keep their sick kids home, as well as his teacher not coming to school sick. She has been the source of a serious cold this year. I keep my son home when ill for his benefit, and for the sake of his classmates/school staff. I send my kids to school for EDUCATION, and my kids know it.
    ColormeGarnet

Answer by ColormeGarnet at 11:18 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I don't think there is anything wrong with a parent getting a job during school hours so they will be home when the kids are home. But, school is obviously NOT a babysitter. Kids are there to learn but a child can't miss weeks of school while their sniffles clear up either. That is not how life is. The mom who wrote that in her profile may not have meant it that way... I do know people who go back to work when the kids are in school. Day care is expensive, and if you are getting an entry level or hourly wage job, you really can't afford to work until then.It doesn't mean you really consider the school an actual babysitter. I don't think every parent who works is "using school as a babysitter", but the example of the woman who comes a half hour late to pick up her child every day after school sounds like she is!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• as a teacher i can say yes you are 100% right to say SOME parents see it as a free babysitter, dont fully recognize the purpose is to learn, not to just stay for 6-8 hr a day... i send my 3 yr old to Montessori afternoon preschool, dont see it as a babysitter at all, they dont nap, lunch, they just go to learn and go home... home takes care of their physical needs, including staying home when sick, now we do encourage children with JUST a cold to attend but still many too sick kids come regularly. it is a shame (the babysitter perspective) because it pulls away from the potential of the whole group when a parent doesn't understand the importance of certain behavior so that everyone can learn, but i dont expect that to change any time soon. looking at different country's perspectives on education is really interesting too, look at Japan and Holland ... two opposites but they produce much better results than we do

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2008