What is your opinion of the Tea Party?

It is not an actual political party since there are no real leaders of it. But how do you feel about it?
Did it affect the Nov. elections? For good? Or bad?
How do you see its future?

ChezBelle

Asked by ChezBelle at 6:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not a member of one but I have attended several tea parties. I have read many hateful and disgusting comments in Q&A about Tea Party people. I have never seen any of the things that have been said on here, the accusations of racism, hatefulness, rudeness or violence. Certain media providers really should be ashamed of themselves, for misleading people about Tea Parties. But they're not, they could care less and so they continue to mislead...

Tea Parties consist of people, who simply want to save our country from total ruin and to preserve our freedom and liberty for everybody but especially for ALL of our children…
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• While not a member of one, I do support their endeavors. Even if they only succeed in forcing elected officials to become accountable and not forget WHO elected them, then that's good enough for me! Leaning on elected officials and reminding them who they work for is perfectly acceptable!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was fine with most of the answers, BUT trippyhippy stop repeating what you hear on CNN!!!!! racists really ??? You President went to a racists church for 20 years!! So don't talk about racist because you don't seem to know what that means.

The tea party was for all who where tired of the Governments BS! It isn't republican or Democrat. It is for ALL Americans.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The Tea Party is hard to explain. I get alerts and such from communtiy organizers who go to meetings with area and regional organizers. There are a series of meetings in Jan. that I can attend and listen to experts in fields discuss what is coming in the political future. Depending on the issue, people talk, organize, write letters, call representatives, or when needed, go to D.C. There is no leader. There is no candidate for the Tea Party. It is just people who have had enough. There is a lot of us who are fed up. I think the word "party" confuses people. It is a spontaneous collective voice of people who needed their voices heard. We were once called "the silent majority". We are silent no more.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• well...its not good anymore. it was a good idea in theory and i had some of the same ideals...until the conservatives hijacked it and made it more about being against Obama and uber Christian values than about giving the govt back to the ppl and getting the corrupt out. and the fact that Palin is one of their key speakers really turned me off as well.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I support local tea party rallies and initiatives. There are various national attempts to organize~ I tend to stay away from them.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't know much about them, but from what I do know about the people I know that have gone to tea parties - they are largely independent or moderate republicans. A few moderate Democrats as well. I think anything that gives people an outlet to discuss the operations and intentions of their elected government officials is a good thing. People have been disengaged from politics and the workings of our local, state and federal governments for far too long. As for it being 'hijacked' by the GOP, IDK about that. I'm not part of a tea party and I don't know how different groups decide who they want to support or not.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Pfft the ones in this post criticizing the tea party are a joke.'Stared with goood itentions' yeah riiiiiiight you same ladies were all miffed because you supported ALL of O's spending sprees ALL of it..anyone can go back in this forum and see that.You gave O a free pass.So stop playing.OP yes the tea party had a huge effect on the
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Great intentions! They need to get on the ballot as a party before I can consider candidates for election. I get leary when a tea party candidate jumps on an established party's ballot. The party needs to focus on getting it's org. on the ballot as a collective group. I think a lot of Americans are ready for some fresh ideas.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree with you about there not really being one. As for if they stick around.... absolutely. America is not happy with our government and how it is run. The people with Tea Party ideals are around to stay.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010