Do You know what B.C. and A.D. Stands for?

This is a spin off, sorta.
I asked if "Non-Believers" were offended by that time reference and I got lots of replies "non-believers of WHAT?" and I'm still get snarky responses about the Tooth Fairy, etc.

I thought it was obvious. Christ.

B.C. stands for "Before Christ"
A.D. stands for "Anno Domini", which is Latin for "year of our Lord," and it means the number of years since the time of Jesus Christ.

Sorry for the confusion. :-)

Merry Christmas!

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 6:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Merry Christmas!

And, Merry Christmas to you, as well, sweetie. Oh,and I seriously doubt it was you that caused any cofusion. There was none, just some bitter individuals with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. Not to us,of course, cause well, frankly, I couldn't care less. But, they feel they have to "prove" something to one another, and to theirselves. I know, sad and pathetic, but that's how it seems to be with them. At any rate, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! God bless you!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Seems like you are throwing religion at a lot of the non-believers today.....
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Everyone knows what you're meaning by using the term non-believer. They're just trying to point out that we also all realize that you are using the term in a purposefully antagonistic way. To call all non-Christians simply non-believers you are insulting the faiths/beliefs/philosophies they do follow. It's your way of sticking it to all the rest of us who believe differently. It's your way of suggesting that we believe in nothing because we don't believe in your brand of faith. It's rude, condescending, and immature. That's why people respond the way the do. How about using more fitting and respectful titles such as non-Christians and atheists? Merry Christmas.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Didn't you post something about this the other day in one of your many, many "friendly and non-hostile" posts directed toward non-Christians?

Why are you so full of hatred for those who believe differently than you?  You keep posting one "question" after another with little digs directed at those who aren't Christian, and I have to turn it all back on you and ask, WHY?  Why are you being so hostile to those of us who don't believe what you do?  Are you really that angry?  Has a non-Christian pissed in your Cheerios lately?  What?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You write so many of these "non-offensive" posts directed at people who don't believe what you do, that I think you're getting confused. That response--the one about the Tooth Fairy--was in your post about why "non-believers" are so hostile, not the other one where you so innocently ask if "non-believers" get offended by the outdated use of B.C. and A.D. Really, I think you need to take a break from all of your "non-hostile" posts. You're getting confused.

Who says my sarcasm is a mask for anger?  Obviously not anyone who knows me.  Would this be your psychotherapist who told you that?  Maybe you should spend more time talking with him about your problems, and not people on CM whom you've never met.  You'll never make progress until you deal with your own issues, my friend.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• •AD was a 1980s Christian rock band, featuring former Kansas members Kerry Livgren and Dave Hope, and former Bloodrock member Warren Ham sharing the lead vocal duties along with Michael Gleason
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• What was your question? Oh it was rhetorical cause you really didn't care. Bye Now
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Well, I'm quite positive BC stands for Birth Control. AD is missing a "D" and that stands for Attention deficit disorder.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Yes, I know what they stand for.

I still think using Non-Christian would be better than saying non-believers for the many reasons already listed by previous posters. It would be more clear, as people BELIEVE in many different things. If you must use 'non-believers' in the post, at least add "in Jesus Christ" or something like that to be sure everyone is on the same page. Many people believe in a God that's different from Christians, in many gods, or even in philosophical paths that have nothing to do with a higher power, so in my opinion, it would be more clear about what you mean and respectful of all of our differences if you said Non-Christian instead.  Just my two cents.

Merry Christmas to you too!

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was taught when I went to church that AD was After Death
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010