Is anyone else confused about unemployment?

Unemployment benefits were extended? This means that people are going to continue to receive benefits, for how long? I don't understand. There are jobs out there. Some towns can't give away jobs right now, while still other towns have no jobs. How about if instead of extending unemployment benefits, they pay for these people to transfer to the towns that actually have jobs available? Wouldn't that make more sense? If you've not worked in over two years, I'd say the chances are slim that you are going to find a job in that location again, so why stay?

I'm not looking for a fight or argument, just not understanding, why? I just saw an article about a woman in Ohio that has been unemployed for two years, still can't find a job and her benefits have been extended. She went back to college and still can't find a job.

If moving isn't the solution, what is? It's kind of scary to think that some day I may need unemployment or other assistance, and it won't be there. Is that a possibility?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good idea except too many people like staying home. It has become their "job".
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• unemployment extensions are just another way our government is throwingon a bandaid on heart surgery. insteadof finding real solutions they keep throwing more and more money at it. bring back the jobs to the US. make it beneficial for companies to come back here instead of outsorucing to other countries. provide jobs for these extensions at the very least. like garbage pick up or something. good grief. its ridiculous what is going on . i dont fully blame those who are honestly out there looking for work and finding nothing. but i somehow suspect far more are NOT putting out the effort they should and are NOT looking at ALL jobs, just looking for what they WANT or think they deserve. i see no difference between someone on unemployment for 2 years who has not found work and someone living off welfare who does nothing to find work either.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 7:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The only part about unemployment that confuses me, is the this admin's boasting of all the jobs they have created...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I really don't see how you could make that work but, to figure out how to make something like that so it would work would take some brains and some effort. I don't think there is much of an abundance of either in the whole of Washington. They just want the path of least resistance.....unless it is for THEIR gain, of course, then the gloves come off!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• People do not want to take a job that will pay them less than the unemployment benefits.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• So what?

You stop creating a "climate of fear" in the economy, printing your own money when you feel like it, only creating jobs in the public sector (net-loss jobs), and stop threatening business owners with looming tax hikes and archaic, idiotic regulations like net neutrality and cap and trade. It's pretty common sense. If they'd bothered to start 2 years ago, we'd be far better off today.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• DH and I moved from MA to TX for opportunity. He now has his dream job and we have a much better life. It's not for everyone though. I just spoke to a friend today who had the same question on her mind as you, OP. She's been receiving unemployment benefits in PA that are about to run out. The way she put it, the law states that benefits cannot be extended if they've already run out. So she's confused and wondering. She can't move b/c her finace' has an ex and 2 children that he can't leave. So she's kind of stuck. I can tell you from pure observation that people ARE moving to the areas that offer opportunity b/c the DFW area has well exceeded its capacity in just the last 4-5 years! We went from no traffic (we could get ANYWHERE in under 15 mins!) to an hours worth of traffic both ways. I see out-of-state tags everywhere now, and folks just don't have that TX charm out in public. We're being invaded! LOL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I know some won't even take a job for a lower wage even though too me thats better than nothing! A girl I know has been on it over a year and has no kids but will only take a job for 15 plus. It looks better to have a job even if its 8 per hr....I don't understand. I know for me to work I needed a certain amt of money and it took me 3mos but with 3 kids I can't work if it doesn't cover daycare.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Ditto Kati. If they could, they would just pay everyone a stipend and control their lives in return
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• There are jobs out there. Some towns can't give away jobs right now, while still other towns have no jobs. How about if instead of extending unemployment benefits, they pay for these people to transfer to the towns that actually have jobs available? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to relocate 10-100k people from the worst hit areas? And even if you did, where would you send them? Just because town A has 40 job openings, town B has 400 people looking for work. And there are exponentially more town B's than town A's. Our fundamental issue with unemployment right now is a severe job shortage.  The purple and black areas of that map have more people than jobs.  Where would you send them?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2010