DS 6 with Asperger's had started biting me and his sister when angry!

He bit the crap out of me in the store the other day during a melt-down and bit his sister in the ear for not playing 'his game' right! Aren't we a bit old for this? How do I effectively correct this in a n older child? We have been doing grounding and privilege lose but I'm not sure that is what this needs.. BTW he is very 'mild' if you didn't know him you would never be able to tell he has an ASD. I mean unless he is flipping out over something! Then you might think he was a brat!! I just really need to fix this issue...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you might consider behavior therapy, brushing helps calm some children down with autism, you also might work on social skills with him to learn good/bad behavior....sometimes our kids just dont get it without a rehearsal.....I assume he has an area for cool downs....I have an 11 1/2 year old daughter with aspergers so I get were you are coming from....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• biting for an autistic child is a sign of frustration and also usualy related to the one sense they can trust the most, thier tongue and mouth . I think you need to talk to your family dr or the school about some in home support services for your family. they are out there in most states but you have to do some legwork to find them sometimes. try googling an autism support group for your area and see if they can help you with finding resources. in the meanwhile i would say you need to have immediate and strong consequences for him when he bites. even if it means he loses a favorite toy for good etc. my son went through this stage and it was not till he had lost 5-6 very favorite toys that DID NOT COME BACK that he got the clue to cut it out. try talking to him about ways he can express his frustration without biting, like going to his room to yell and rage alone for a bit. try and encourage him to other outlets than biting.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Does he see a doctor , On any meds ? I have a 10 year old that has autism and went through this when he was stressed.
    Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• no. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing with him. He has a regular ped and he get OT and ST at school... I tried to get and ABA but insurance won't cover it....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think that you should tap him hand or bite him back a little. He will see how it feels and stop doing it. My son has a mild form of ASD. I have been through this.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• why did The first poster get voted down? she just asked a question.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Probably cause I said something about meds???  i dont know,,,, I only meant if he was, that could be effecting is moods as well and at this time of year stress can be high too,I didnt mean anything by my question. some people dont belive in putting kids on meds,I say to each there own ,whatever works best for your child and your family.

Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• There is no blanket treatment for all forms of autism, Aspergers is different specially if he is high functioning. He is frustrated, he doesnt know how to EXPRESS himself...so he does it through bitting. YOU need to teach him a way to constructively express himself, remember he is not doing it to be a little a-hole, but because his communication skills are different from yours. If I were you, I would research A TON. You should already know what I'm telling you, if you dont that means you need to do more research.

NO MEDICATION WILL HELP WITH LACK OF COMMUNICATION SKILLS, medication would numb him...he wouldnt care to communicate, then he wouldnt bite. That is not a healthy solution if you ask me.

Remember that most people with Aspergers are highly intelligent, some of the best thinkers through history are believed to have had Aspergers. PLEASE dont rely on the advice of people that dont understand ASPERGERS.
    4heartbeats

Answer by 4heartbeats at 12:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• No advice. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2010