In home day care or day care center?

I am looking at switching my daughters day care (she is 2.5). I have some great references for both kids, but I need opinions, please!

Do you prefer in home day care, or day care centers, and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in home when they where little and then we went to a day care center when they where about your dd's age. For one, my dh and I both worked on Saturdays and NO ONE wants to watch children on their saturdays. This daycare extended its hours to the weekend, so that was the main reason. Plus the interaction, the pre-teachers had worked there forever and where great with the kids.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I prefer my DD in in home daycare. She gets more attention, I feel like she is honestly loved and there is less 'competition' over toys and attention amongst the LO's. The woman my DD stays with keeps only my DD right now but she has a child of her own at a home and is looking for one more to keep. I enjoy DD being in a home environment. She is 2 and she will have plenty of time in school so right now I just want her to play.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I think it depends on the child and the caregivers. Did she do well where she was previously? Was it in--home or a center? I would stick with what she's been used to if she was progressing well. If she wasn't then I would change to a different type. What is your reason for changing her? That could enter into a good decision.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• In home daycare.... I worked in 2 centers for 4 years... and there are just SO many children and frequently multiple caregivers... to me it was just crazy, it wasn't the kind of child care I would want for my son.
    We do a small in home daycare for my son... it's very loving and close... similar to the care I would give at home.. they snuggle and play and sing songs... when I worked in the center it wasn't like that... we of coase did out best to give great care, but there were SO many children, it mostly came down to keep them safe vs giving them love and attention... there wasn't time for anything else.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I have had both. The in-home was not structured and they spent a lot of time self-entertaining which is not bad up to a certain age. When they get to toddler age, they really need structure.
    I just switched to a daycare center...it's in a home but no one lives there. They have preschool for 4 hours each morning, lunch, then activities each afternoon. Then it's quiet time and free play time.
    I like it better.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• its a in home but its like a regular center. she only has like 15children there. its the best of both worlds. she has structure and she gives them meals and play time. its just everything in one. i had looked at centers before she was born and it was just so completely different. i would say the in home is better but it realy depends.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• In our case it seemed in home daycare was better. Our son enjoys the smaller group and more one on one time than when he was in an actual daycare center. The hours seem to be more flexible and cheaper for (most) in home daycares. Honestly, it just depends on what you as a parent are comfortable with. If you know a center is more secure (codes to get in/out and cameras) and that is a concern then of course go with the center. If caregiver to child ratio is a concern then an at home daycare may be better. In all cases always do a little bit of research on the person or center you leave your child with! :)
    shirley7409

Answer by shirley7409 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 23, 2010

• I have had my DD in an in-home daycare since she was 2 months old. I love the individual attention she gets and my daycare lady loves each child as though they were her own. Because there are so few kids there the kids are like siblings. My daughter is taught what children are usually taught in daycare and also manners. I would recommend in-home daycare but make sure they are registered with the state - check them out.
    DebHart71

Answer by DebHart71 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2010