ok. what do i do

My son just brought home his STAR Math test that they just took on the 14th. He went down from where he tested at in the beginning of the school year. We have been working with him after school but he just has a really hard time with math. He seems to do fine on his daily work but is testing low. They held him back last year due to the fact that his math test was low. They know that he has trouble with math but have him going to no one for extra help. I am going to go in and talk with his teacher and i will have him doing some math type homework over christmas break. I am going to as his teacher if there is anyone at the school that he can go to during the day for extra math assistance. I feel like we are starting to repeat what happened in his second grade class last year. Unfortuanately he has the same teacher that he had last year due to our school only has one teacher per elementary class. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I don't want to have to do Sylvan if we don't have to. Just due to the cost of that program.

sonsmom

Asked by sonsmom at 7:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask at the school for tutors. Some teachers do this outside of school hours, and it is cheaper than Sylvan.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 7:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• What exactly is he struggling with? I know math, but specifically- adding and subtracting, timed test, problem solving? I can try to give you some pointers- I teach 1st grade...

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Some schools have tutors for free. Just inquire, and see what other solutions they can come up with to help your child.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• You need to inquire about an IEP program for him. The schools have programs in place where if a student is struggling in a particular area, such as taking tests, they can have a helper to read him the test questions or write his answers. They can determine his exact needs when it comes to taking tests and help him with it.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• When my son was in elementary school they put him in a resource class for like an hour a day. A resource class is a small group of kids (5 or 6 tops) that way they can concentrate on the problem areas that he/she is having in a regular classroom. Since it is a smaller group, they get more on-on-one help for each of the students in this class. At the end of the school year, they review what they have learned to help them do better on the end of grade tests.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• My daughter has "intervention" classes at school. Same as hope above. Its a smaller group of children [3-5] and they do get more one on one teaching done. You mentioned that he does ok in his daily work but his testing is low. Could he have a phobia of tests [I had this during my finals and totally flunked my exams yet during class I was getting A and B's. Totally messed my life up because in the UK your final exams are all you leave with, no scores from your class work got added in.] Does he get distracted while being tested? I'd find out how the tests are done and also ask your son if he gets nervous when tested. Our DD does and her test scores fall way lower than her class work. Even her teacher has mentioned it to us.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Thank you all for your suggestions. I was thinking that maybe he needed to get an IEP. I am going to go in and try to talk with his teacher this morning. He seems to be having trouble with the timed stuff. They do rocket math here and he has a hard time getting his goal that they have set and if after so many misses they get sent back a letter and still have to meet the goal that was set for them. So if they hit 40 on I they are expected to do 40 at all times. When they go to the subtraction in January hisgoal is already set at 40 so he will have to hit that just to move onto the next letter of the alphabet. If he has time to think about his answers he does fine but when he is rushed he has a much harder time. We are going to do some extra work during the holidays. The school has the small group setting for reading (which he had to do the last two years) but not sure if they have that for math. I will find out
    sonsmom

Comment by sonsmom (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• Unless your school is Title One (large low income population) there are generally not any additional funds for math help w/in the school. A friend of mine is having this problem this year (also 3rd grade). We have a new math program this year and a lot of kids are having issues with it.

Talk to the school social worker about the test anxiety issue. He can get an IEP for test anxiety. As an experiment, I would give him a sheet of rocket math and limit him to the time. Then the next day, tell him to just do it in his own time, but keep track of how long it takes him. That could be a good starting point for you to see what's going on.

Good luck!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I went in and spoke with his teacher this morning when i dropped him off at school. She said that the Star Math test is not a timed test and he was rushing. The class he was in last year was a class that had to rush and be the first ones done. This class is not that way but he still thinks he has to be first done. She also stated that he was not using his paper to work out the problems just doing them in his head and of course not getting them correct. She said that math is one of his stronger classes she feels. I told her that he does not feel that it is. He is always telling me that he is not good at math. The rocket math answer is a good one. We may do that during break where it's not such a big deal. They will be going to subtraction in January. Thanks everyone and have a merry christmas
    sonsmom

Comment by sonsmom (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2010