I'm thinking about trying to write a novel

I LOVE to read...I do it all the time. I enjoy being able to slip away from my crazy life and be submerged into a great romance or some mystical world. I also enjoy being able to feel what the characters do(well most of the time ;) Every time I finish a book, regardless if I liked it or not, I always find myself thinking about what would have made it better. I also end up with ideas for a different story all together.So I was just wondering if there are any writers on here and what advise you may have for me? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• I'm working on screenplays! I need to keep focused though, hard to do with a two year old but GL to you :-)
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Many colleges have writing workshops for people who want to write. Check that out, and in the meantime, when you finish a book, why not try writing down your thoughts about how you would change it. Or take one chapter or scene, and re-write that. This will give you an idea if you enjoy the actual writing part, or just the imagining part.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Although I am not an author I love to write as well. There are great web-sites (Authentic) that you can research to head you in the right direction. Don't forget NEVER sign away all rights and always have an attorney.
    gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 7:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am not a writer although I love to read and have always wanted to write a book as well. November was National Novel Writing month and I tried to write. You had to write 50000 words, with no research and no planning. It was very hard and since this was my first time I didn't finish. Life seemed to get in the way because my DD was in and out of the hospital so it made it hard to find time to write. One thing I have learned is that you have to make time to do it. It is not one of those things were you can say I want to write a book and then you just do it. At least for me is wasnt'.

I would check out this website: http://www.evanovich.com/qa/steps she has some great tips on what to do.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I also want to write basically book on single life with my three special needs kids and all the wonderful people that have come in and out our life!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Read a lot. You can learn what does and does not work in storytelling. This also teaches you the nuances when it is acceptable to break the grammatical rules. I learned a lot about story pacing from reading. (I especially recommend Stephen King's "On Writing".)
    Research. Nothing throws your reader out of their willful suspension of disbelief than inaccuracies.
    Write! Even if you write 100 pages and toss out 99 of them as crap, you're still 1 page further than you were the day before.

Most of all, be fearless! Most famous writers got rejected time and again before they got published. Nothing worth having comes easy!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• The best advice I was ever given was this: WRITE. Don't constantly edit yourself, don't correct your spelling, just. keep. writing until you get it all out. THEN go back and fix it.

The other thing is take notes and research, research, research.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 9:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• That is what a lot of people have said, Jenna, but I don't write like that. I edit as I go and then go back and edit it some more when I am done. I am an incredibly slow writer though. I guess it is however you feel comfortable. Sometimes I do write a bunch just to get the thought out there and then go back and make it take shape, but most of the time it just comes out exactly as it is seen at the end. Minus the typos and bad grammar I don't catch the first time around. I don't write fiction though, so maybe that is the difference.

OP, good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2010