what on earth do you take to the hosptial when your having a baby?

Is there anything the doctors or nurses won't let you take and when should I pack a bag?

myfirstgirl2311

Asked by myfirstgirl2311 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I packed my bag @ 7 months, (about 30 weeks) because you never know if something happens and you go into pre-term or early labor.
    As for what to pack:
    Comfortable Pajamas with easy nursing access for after delivery - be sure to take something that you don't mind getting ruined just in case you bleed a lot afterward.
    I wouldn't take a lot of snacks with you as you will probably have visitors who can bring you food items if the hospital food is bad. Just keep in mind that you can't eat once you are admitted until you deliver - this is in case they have to do an emergency c-section.
    I took my makeup and never opened it.
    Remember a camera and film or additional memory card - you and your SO will be camera happy! Cell Phone & charger, clothes for baby (3-4 outfits just in case) and clothes for you and your SO.
    The hospital will have diapers, wipes, and blankets. -- Message me and I can give you more info.
    Mom2Anarya

Answer by Mom2Anarya at 7:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• a couple of outfits for your baby to come home in depending on what time of year it is and what the weathers like where you live., some comfy clothes for you when you leave. any books you may want, anything to help you during labor. i was told by the two different hospitals I had my kids in to bring whatever I wanted to help me feel more at home. it depends on how long you stay too, I was never in for more than a day or two after the kids were born so I didn't take that much oh and don't forget the carseat.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Chap stick, magazines, toiletries, your own gown (I preferred to do this), robe, slippers, lotion, baby's first outfit, pacifiers, camera, ways to pass the time, cards, books, music, a journal, salt and pepper if you plan on eating their food, plenty of change for vending machines...

I'd have my bag packed between 34-36 weeks.

I don't think there isn't anything you're not allowed to have... Except guns, knives, etc.. The obvious =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Oh, and DON'T forget your cell phone charger!!! I almost forgot mine and man, I'd have been lonely without it! =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• clothes and underwear. Water, my camera and other stuff.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I took chap stick, slippers and robe, a new outfit for baby and me, car seat, camera, money, phone, snacks, booties for baby, blanket, pacifier, booties for hands so not to stratch their face if long fingernails, comb or brush for me, reading material, baby book, Not much since not there long.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2010