If you are a Christian on here, and you are mean spirited and nasty

How do you reconcile your beliefs with your behaviors, while considering the text of 1 Corinthians 13?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NKJV

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You know what, Savage? I'M the one voting you down, because you're being rude and condescending and resorting to name calling and personal attacks, and I'm sick of seeing it. You can think its immature all you like, but that's what its there for. There are a few of you active in this thread who really need to learn to debate without making things personal, without resorting to such low brow antics. Especially if you (some of you, whatever) are Christians, because I KNOW Jesus expected better of us than this, and being a Christian myself I'm DOUBLY offended by the behavior that uses the name of my faith as some sort of weapon or makes it come off like some clique of immature high school girls. Whether or not you guys want to admit that you're wrong, you are, and you're going to keep having conflict with people until you learn how to interact with them in a mature way.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• ugg...nothing like reading the posts on here to see exactly what point the OP was trying to get across.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am Christian and LOVE this quote...

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Haha, Shan, I wasn't thinking of you. I can tell the difference between someone who means well and someone who is being obviously rude and immature. No worries, there. :)

Its just the blatant un-Christianlike behavior the people of this section are forced to put up with in the name of Christianity that bothers me. Hypocrisy at its best, and I think this is exactly what Jesus was trying to tell us. None of the rest of it matters if you can't act out your faith in love. That's the biggest hypocrisy of all, representing the message of peace and love espoused by Christ with this animosity and immaturity.... I don't like speaking unforgivingly, but sometimes I just can't stand to have to see it anymore. And its not just a matter of Christian vs nonChristian, because I get along with the nonChristians just fine. Given that, its obvious that someone IS the problem, and by the dynamic we have here,its pretty easy to who that is... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I agree -- I find that the most judgmental and rudest people, not just on here, profess to be christian. If thats what being christian means, then I never want to be one.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 7:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• 2tiny, I don't think anyone is doubting the right Christians have to debate and express opinions. There is quite a difference between that and being purposefully antagonistic and spiteful, is there not? I wish you would get over your need to be on such the quick defense to actually take notice of what you're defending.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• Wow the so-called "Christians" in here are being rather nasty tonight, aren't they. You can definitely tell the difference in the real Christians and the so-called "Christians".

The real Christians are not condescending when they talk about their beliefs or express their differing opinions. The do not constantly condemn believers of other faiths.

The so-called "Christians" are very hateful and nasty to others. Just look back through this thread and you can CLEARLY see the difference. These are the ones I feel sorry for ... they really need to look to their Sisters in Faith and learn a thing about humility, good behavior, respect and manners. Might want to spend a little while reading the verses referenced in the original post as well.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

BAHAHA!!! Now that's going to be stuck in my head all night! :) Inconceivable!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• They probably do not see themselves as mean-spirited and nasty but as "Standing up for the truth." I'm guessing they don't own mirrors.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am a Christian but I sure hope I don't ever come off as mean spirited or nasty. I like to think I am pretty accepting. I like to think I am capable of sharing my faith without looking like I am attacking anyone. I like to think I can keep my conversations open for give and take. I have learned so much about so many different religions on here and though I rarely participate in the section I enjoy reading it. The scripture you pointed out is one of my favorites but I am human and I am sure at one point or another I have failed to keep to it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2010