For the one's who have different beliefs then their SO

I see on here all the time that two people must believe the same belief in order for the relationship to work? I just want to see how many women on here have different beliefs then their SO and their relationship is going just fine.
All my ex's and even my husband we all have shared different beliefs. It has never gotten in the way and never caused any trouble. My ex's we ended on other issues but our beliefs simply never caused an issue because we didn't let it. We respected each others beliefs and didn't press one another.

So how many of you have different beliefs then your SO?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're different, and have even further different extended families - from mass attending Catholics to speaking in tongues evangelicals. Never been an issue for us. There are a few specific family members we have to work around, but we work around them as a united front, so they know better than to push.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm a Spiritual Witch with leanings toward Kabbalah and hubby leans toward Christianity with a hint of Agnostic (I think b/c he tends to question A LOT) and we get along just fine. He respects my beliefs and understands why I feel the way I do. He has been there for just about my entire spiritual journey and he supports whatever decision I come to. We married when I was15 and have been together for 25 years.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• i am a christan and my boy friend is an undeceided. Whenever relgion comes up in conversation we have a respectful debate about different topics until one or the other gets upset (usually me) and then we change the subject. We just try not to talk about it. I deffenitly don't push the issue of him going to church because I don't and I don't want a church wedding, I'm kind of afraid it will burn down... lol just kidding
    myfirstgirl2311

Answer by myfirstgirl2311 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• We believe in different things but just like any sucessful relationship, you have to compromise and respect those differences.

that goes for any part of the relationship...compromise and understanding that they are not a clone of the other person.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I don't pretend to know what works for other couples I just know what works for mine. My relationship with God is such an important part of my life and one that I insist on sharing with my DH as well, I think that it makes us a stronger couple and helps us to work through issues that we have had in our marriage. Just because that works for us doesn't mean that it will work for anyone else and if you are your SO can keep a strong relationship without it causing problems then what others think shouldn't be an issue-I certainly don't care what others think of my relationship as long as I am happy.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I was raised Hindu, my husband is a Sikh ( also raised Sikh/has a Sikh family).

We've been married for 25 years. I can honestly say, that in all of our years of marriage we have never experienced any issues or discord due to religion. Many other things.. you bet.. lol... However, never any due to religion/religion differences.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm a witch, and he's an atheist. It has never caused any problems. I respects my belief system and I respect his lack of one.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 9:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I'm Pagan and my dh is agnostic. Hasn't caused major problems. I go to fellowship and ritual alone and he stays home. He wanted my dd's raised without religion and I'm not going to do that. They will be raised with the UU church. My only problem with all of this, is that I wish I had his support and I know I don't have that. I don't even have his anger, he's just neutral, neutral.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• My DH and I are both Pantheists (probably both leaning toward Scientific Pantheism of the different types), but he considers himself to be more of a Taoist while I consider myself to be more of a Buddhist as far as philosophical approaches to life. I follow some Taoist ideas as well--as he does with Buddhism. Honestly, I have no problem with most of what I know about Taoism, I'm just not as familiar with it as he is (or as much as I am with Buddhism). There are some differences between them--I know of a few differences anyway, but I'm sure they seem really similar to many people. Neither approach finds conflict with other paths though. We also both value science, logic, and reason in decisions too. So, our differences are very minor and cause no problems. We disagree about other little things much more often than we ever disagree about religion, spirituality, or philosophy.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2010

• I am Kemetic Orthodox and DH is agnostic.. bordering on complete Atheism... never really affected us.... though he is always interested in my practices
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2010